300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

2000 Concorde LXi - Rubbing rubber sound behind steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Default 2000 Concorde LXi - Rubbing rubber sound behind steering wheel

I recently purchased a used 2000 concorde LXi and every time I turn the steering wheel left or right I hear a rubber-on-rubber/squeak sound that seems to be coming from directly behind the steering wheel. I didnt hear this sound when I originally purchased the vehicle but it may have been there.

Steps I've taken so far:
- Check power steering fluid and it is good.
- I removed the cover from around the steering column to see if I could pinpoint the area the sound is coming from. I tried spraying a little bit of WD 40 between the back of the steering wheel and a thick black plastic cover (sorry, not sure exactly what this piece is) that is directly behind the steering wheel. I'm assuming there is something that needs some lubrication.

What is causing this sound, and is there a way to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Might be at the base of the column where the shaft passes thru the rubber boot at tha floor. Dry Silicone Lube recommended.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the reply FIREM.

I removed the steering column plastic cover again and using a mechanic stethoscope I was able to pinpoint the location of the steering wheel squeak/rubbing sound.
I took a picture of where it is coming from since I have no idea what it is. See link for picture

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...ps26aec880.jpg

The sound is coming from right behind the blue ball colored part in the picture. Any time I turn the wheel right or left the blue ball part spins along with the wheel and the squeak can be heard. Unfortunately I cannot get down into the steel shaft area where the sound is coming from to see exactly what is causing the sound.

Does this help with anyone possibly diagnosing what could be causing this squeaking sound and a possible fix?

Any help is appreciated b/c the sound is just driving me nutty!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM

Blue Ball appears to be the flex joint for the tilt feature.
Bad news is steering column is not servicable, meaning that there no parts available to tear down and repair, as far as I understand.
Best bet is to get a "quiet" one from a yard and swap it in. I know of a few people that have done this for less than $100.