300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

2000 LHS brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Question 2000 LHS brake issue

Hey guys. I have a 2000 LHS with the 3.5L motor. For the past 2 months, give or take, my brake pedal goes almost all the way to the floor. I have a few inches of clearance left. It wasnt always like this, I had about half pedal like normal. I have replaced my brake pads with new ceramics all the way around just before this started doing this. I thought maybe my pads needed to be changed again, nope, pads are still good. I have plenty of brake fluid. No ABS light. All fuses and breakers are good.

The only thing I do have is a "woosh" sound when I press my brake pedal but it isn't constant, only when pressing the pedal down and then the sound stops. Now to the best of my knowledge, your brake pedal should make any sound at all. So this leads me to think the power booster needs to be replaced. My brakes do work and I do stop just fine but the low pedal is concerning me. I really couldn't tell you the condition of the ABS sensors cause as I said, no ABS light.

I was told by a mechanic to drive down the road and press my brake pedal a few times to see if my engines idle surged up at all and it would be an indication my power booster was going. I did that and no surging. You guys have any ideas? The ABS module perhaps?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM

If you hear a "woosh" of air that stops when the brake is depressed, booster is shot.
Reman available for >$100 most auto parts stores.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Replace the master CYL at same time or it will void warrant of booster

Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks guys. I just wanted to get conformation on this. As I said, It is braking and I am stopping. But if the booster is bad than I have a major loss of braking power. Not good if I need to jack my brakes for whatever reason.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Ok guy, I got the Booster and MC changed out. I bled the MC and all the lines. I still have crap for brakes. Any other ideas? Only thing left is my abs pump/module.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

ABS is not in use unless u do a panic stop. Describe crap ?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM

When I say crap I mean my brakes feel the same as before. Actually, now they feel even softer. I'm contributing the softer feel to having a new booster/mc. There working correctly so everything is smoother so to speak. But my pedal is still dropping to the floor. And it actually feels a bit lower now than with the old booster/ms.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

how did u bleed the MC and lines?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM

I bled the ms into itself as you're supposed to and I bled the lines old school (pump brakes, open bleerder valve) passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front. Just to be sure I'm going to look for a vacume leak. I don't think I have one but ruling it out can't hurt.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

pump brakes 3x and hold it? then release valve tighten valve back up and repeat until no air is coming out ? IS this what u did?

Quick Reply: 2000 LHS brake issue