300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

94 Intrepid Limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Default 94 Intrepid Limp mode?

So I've been told, it's called "Limp mode" or "Limp-in mode." I've been having a serious problem with this, but first what I've already corrected.

At first my 1994 Dodge Intrepid (Which I'm pretty sure was the LHS, if not sorry, wrong topic) was perfect. It had 40k miles on it and it ran like new. I got it from a relative who passed recently and whom never drove it. About a month ago it started stalling first infrequently, then frequently. After a few days of intensive searching I found a lot of articles referring to the "Crankshaft Position Sensor." So I replaced it. The car worked very well for about a week.

Then it started going into Limp Mode. It seems like it won't shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear (RPM is about 3,000 at 40mph, about 4,500 at 60mph). Recently it's been one-upping itself. Now, I'll back out of my driveway, shift into drive, hit the gas, start moving forward then as it's about to shift into second it sticks in neutral and won't shift into any gear unless I turn it off. Even if I turn it off and back on, it won't shift into 2nd gear again. I have to disconnect the battery and wait 10-15min before it will work again. However it never does this in the morning, or when I'm freshly starting my car after a few hours somewhere, So I think it might have to do with heat, though the gauge seems to work fine.

If anyone has any idea what could be wrong with it please let me know, I'm afraid to drive it and I get butterflies every time it lags shifting into second thinking it's going to break down again. I'm 17 and don't have extensive funds to fix it, though I am very knowledgeable in fixing things. I don't want to be afraid to drive my car, any help would be very nice.

Thanks in Advance,
Kilian

Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM

First thing is to make sure it has the correct fluid. If you don't know have it flushed and then replace the filter and new high quality, name brand oil. ATF+4 I have good luck with Valvoline synthetic.

Output speed sensor is easy and inexpensive also.

Hope this helps