300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

94 Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:49 PM

I have a 1994 LeBaron, convertable. I have been fixing it up. New rear axle beam and back breaks. My transmission started this just recently. Same deal, wouldn't shift up, now all of a sudden now it will kick itself back down to first gear. Thankfully it hasn't done it on the highway. I was throwing into neutral and restarting it and it would work fine. I do the same thing when it kicks down except i have to do it at least five times before it will work. Just like in the other comments it mostly acts up now that it is getting cold at night. Once it warms up it is fine. There is no problems on the highway. So my question is, if Dextron II doesn't have the right minerals, then what type of fluid does? I was also wondering if a missing vacuam line could affect it too. This is my only means of transportation and I really can't afford a new or rebuilt tranny. I have also replaced my headlight switches on the dash. Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:54 PM

had the same problem. Turned out it was the ground for the transmission was not good enough. Repaired the ground and been fine ever sense.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Default 94 Concord

Had the same issue 2 times with my 94 concord. One time the temperature was normal (about 75 degrees) and the other time it was cold (about 40 degrees) But both times it would "FIX ITSELF" after I restarted the engine. I saw a post about a corroded connection. "In the wiring to the tranmission computer there is a spot where the computer connects to the engine computer and the body computer" Does anyone know where this connection is?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:00 PM

1995 vision. Saturday went into limp mode for first time. 167,000 miles. over the passed year I have been experiencing. wiring issues. hard uneven running for first 10 minutes then CEL comes on and car ran fine. Did the code reading. and it would state a new problem shortly after fixing the previous one. To start TPS changed. Symptoms came back a week later. Went to a mechanic this time. Change TPS connector. Week later again. I changed air flow and MAP. week later if i touched barely the MAP connector, the car would die. Pulled pinis out and found 2 female were loose. a month later ingition pack. Then the ignition connector 1 out of 4 was loose. Then Crank position sensor. That was done by the mechanic again and I asked him to check all grounds feeling this is a signal problem. That is still how I feel about this now limp mode issue. I cannot retrieve tranny codes (dont know how) eng codes are 12 - batt disconnected and 55 - end of codes. Did a voltage test at eatx relay. Get 12V on one and only .05 on the control when ign is turned on. Opend and checked harness to PCM and pulled pcm. Opened and checked harness to tcm and pulled tcm. No pin on tcm gives me a reading of more the .5V. pin 56 and 57 are suppose to be my 12v. but 56 is not used on my tcm. I dont know which one is the 12v supply. Have a feeling its a connector issue or wire. I dont have a lift and try to worm my hand to the connector under the car at tranny is a pain. Got to input through wheel well. Output is nestled between body and cat. Was looking for the infamous splice everyone is talking about. The only thing close I could find was three wires leaving the tcm. red black and white/b that go into their own wrap with a shield wire. But those 3 all come out together by the top right strut. Thought i was onto something though when I noticed the radiator blow off runs right onto the wring harness along the pass. chassis rail. Opened the loom and everything was caked with old anti freeze. but all wires looked still good. Did anybody ever figure this out? Car runs great, quiet now except for the limp mode. Dont want to drop a tranny in it if its still going to screw up. Where is this SPLICE everyone is talking about? Thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2016, 02:52 PM

Well I just spend hours on the car. Pulled the harness from the tray all the way to the junction box and found nothing. No mysterious splice. Pulled the fuse box and traced the black signal wire from the eatx relay. Pulled the loom from fuse box to pcm drivers wall to tcm pass wall then from there to junction box. Again, nothing. This has to be an electrical problem. The eatx still only gets .05v with ignition on. Checkerboard the grounds as well

Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 AM

I have a 2004 Chrysler 300M, so presumably the 42RLE gearbox, and my car exhibits the same symptoms. On a long journey at the week-end, the car went into limp mode, second gear only, maybe 10 times over 350km. Noting to do with cold temperatures - I live in Rwanda.

If this problem has existed for literally decades, I'm beginning to doubt there is a cure. Are there owners out there who DON'T have this problem, or is it near universal?