300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.
View Poll Results: What should I do
Pay for a new transmission
0%
Pay for the shop to attempt to fix it
0%
Junk it
0%
Depending on how much spent so far could be a good investment
0%
Pay for some one to look at it
0%
See what I can do myself based off the check engine light
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

99 chrysler concorde lxi shifting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Default 99 chrysler concorde lxi shifting trouble

I was driving my 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI and all of a sudden the car switched into neutral. I pulled over, put the car in park and turned it off. I then restarted the car and put it into Drive. The car picked up and moved about 5 feet before dropping back into Neutral. I then repeated the turning it off and restarting the car this time in 3rd and Low gear only to have the same effect. There is only 50,000+ miles on the Transmission. What should I do next? The Check Engine light came on during the 2nd attempt however it is in a location where I do not have access to a scanner and only need the car to be driveable long enough to get it to the nearest shop which is roughly 9 miles away.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

why do u have a poll of what to do?? I am sorry but because we are online there is no way any one can fully diog your prob on here this is your job to do so or take it to some one and pay them to do it for you then U can make an educated choice of what to do then.

any idea what the check engine light codes are?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 AM

turn the key on and off three times and write down the numbers in the mileage area.
dont start the engine, turn the key to the second click (third click is start)

maybe your transmission is out of oil.
maybe the torque convertor fins are trashed.

i would think it is the torque convertor's problem, not the transmission.
the torque convertor is between the transmission and engine.
probably costs about $20 for a replacement from the junkyard.
the cost for somebody to do it is going to be about $500

they have to remove the engine from the engine mounts and disconnect the engine from the transmission.
if they can do this without removing the entire engine, it might save you some money.
but
removing the radiator and a/c condensor might not give enough room to get the old torque convertor out.

using a jack, they might disconnect the transmission mounts and remove the transmission instead.
maybe a combination of both if they want to keep the front wheels on (i dont know if there is clearance, but if there is time to play - there is time to learn)

but anyways..
the torque convertor simply slides onto the transmission, and the torque convertor bolts onto the flex plate.

the transmission itself is supposed to be planetary, with the gears being hydraulically moved back and forth to change gears.
that means the other point of failure would be the chain that spins the differential (the thing that touches the wheel shafts)
if the chain was broken, you probably wouldnt get any roll at all.
and if the differential is broken, you wouldnt have moved again.
differentials sometimes have an option to use centrifigul force to slide the gear to the other wheel.. that is how sometimes only the left tire spins, and other times only the right tire spins.
maybe your main gear is out, and the car was rolling on the secondary gear.
i dont know why the gear would slip out again 5ft down the road.. unless the gear is ment to slide one way for a certain RPM range, then slide the other way at higher RPM ranges.

it is safe for you to try and find the RPM range that causes the gear to slide to the side, and then keep the RPM at that area.
but
check your transmission oil first.
the torque convertor wont work without liquid inside.

i am thinking it is the torque convertor, but if the valve body is funky.. it could shift on its own into neutral.. but that generally means you ran over something and destroyed (smashed into bits) the valve cover.. and you probably dont have any transmission oil left.

so check your transmission oil and check the bottom for severe damages.
if both of those come back good, have some fun with trying to get the gear to slide to the other wheel.
you might grind the second gear down trying to get it to lock.. and if the primary gear is shot, you wont have anything to grip at all.
since it rolled 5ft.. the primary gear should be okay.
never heard of a differential gear going bad on one of these things.. so i am going with the torque convertor (because of the fins or because of no transmission oil)