Go Back   Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums > Chrysler Vehicles > Past Chrysler Models > 300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Question 99 lhs gets hot while sitting

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased a 99 Chrysler LHS from a private owner. I am only the third owner of this car as the last owner only had it for 8 months as it was only used for transportation to and from work. The issue that I am having is that the temperature climbs to almost the red while sitting in park for about a half hour. But when I get back onto the road and moving it cools down to just below half on the gauge. The previous owner replaced the thermostat and did a coolant flush on March 12th at 29,505 miles. It now has 35,400 on the odo. Any ideas? I do live in SW Florida and the temps here have been around 100 degrees!! Brutal. Thank You in Advance!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on ChryslerForum!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 PM

I wonder if the cooling fans are not running and a 30 and a 40 amp fuse are blown in the PDC under the hood?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I know when I start the car with a/c on I can here a fan running. Do Chrysler fans operate like Honda fans. With a/c off only one fan kicks on until temp goes up then the other kicks on and if you have the A/C on both fans run at same time. What do the 30 and 40 amp fuses operate? Do they run the fan motors? Thank You!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM

No, they both run at LOW or HIGH speed. I've replaced a MOTHERLOAD of those fan motors. Yeah there is a 30A they can blow and sometimes they blow the 40A next to it that feeds the compressor clutch. There is also a high and low relay. The noise between speeds is noticeable so next time the gauge creeps up take a listen and look to so what's going on. Maybe run it in your driveway and observe and take notes. Let me know what you see.

The Jeep Cherokee has a fan system like youre talking about. I don't know of any other Chrysler product that has that.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Thank You for helping! You are VERY knowledgeable on these products! OK here is what I have found...... The drivers fan motor NEVER kicks on EVER!! I did check the fuses and found the 40amp popped so I replaced it. I started doing fuse swaps checking to see if the 30a was shot but it wasn't. I also swapped between the 3 relays in the PDC and it did not make a difference. The driver's side fan never kicked on. Is that the high speed fan or low speed? Sounds like I need a fan motor?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99CHRYSLHS View Post
Thank You for helping! You are VERY knowledgeable on these products! OK here is what I have found...... The drivers fan motor NEVER kicks on EVER!! I did check the fuses and found the 40amp popped so I replaced it. I started doing fuse swaps checking to see if the 30a was shot but it wasn't. I also swapped between the 3 relays in the PDC and it did not make a difference. The driver's side fan never kicked on. Is that the high speed fan or low speed? Sounds like I need a fan motor?
Oh yeah by the way the passenger fan does work!!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to CHRYSLER TECH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRYSLER TECH

stick your hand down there and move the fan I bet its locked up
Old 09-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Went and checked fan motor and it does spin by hand. Not locked up. Now I am really puzzled. Any ideas guys? Could it just be shorted out?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99CHRYSLHS View Post

BOTH fans have to work. They don't operate independently. They work together at 2 speeds. High and Low. Looks like you found your problem. Just because they turn by hand doesn't mean there is not an open inside the motor.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-19-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM

Tags
99, ac, blown, chrysler, concorde, coolant, fan, fans, fuse, hot, lhs, low, run, speed, time, working