300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Help Replacing Camshaft Position Sensor - 98 Concorde 3.2L

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Default Help Replacing Camshaft Position Sensor - 98 Concorde 3.2L

I got the code indicating the camshaft position sensor is bad. When I replace it do I have to take off the entire engine cover that's on top? It connects to the engine with those little l-brackets. I was looking at it during lunch and I don't know how it's going to squeeze out of there if I dont. Anything specific I need to know about replacing it?

Also, a lot of sensors have that strange locking tab. Do you slide the red part out first and then unlock the tab?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help Replacing Camshaft Position Sensor - 98 Concorde 3.2L

z0086507.htmCAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 3.2/3.5L The camshaft position sensor is installed in the timing belt housing cover above the left camshaft sprocket Camshaft Position Sensor REMOVAL[*]Disconnect the negative battery cable.[*]Remove the upper intake plenum, Refer to Intake and Exhaust System.[*]Disconnect electrical connector from sensor.[*]Remove camshaft position sensor screw.[*]Pull sensor up out of the timing belt housing cover. [/ol] INSTALLATION If the removed sensor is reinstalled, clean off the old spacer on the sensor face. Attach a NEW SPACER to the face of the sensor before installation. If installing a new sensor, confirm that the paper spacer is attached to the face Paper Spacer - 3.2/3.5L Engine[*]Install sensor in the timing belt housing and push sensor down until contact is made with the camshaft sprocket. While holding the sensor in this position, install and tighten the retaining bolt to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.) torque.[*]Attach electrical connector to sensor.[*]Install the upper intake plenum, Refer to Intake and Exhaust System.[*]Connect the negative battery cable.[/ol]

Old 09-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Default RE: Help Replacing Camshaft Position Sensor - 98 Concorde 3.2L

Thanks for the info. I was able to change out the sensor but I'm still having trouble.
Now the car starts fine. No hesitation. But I've got the same code along with two new ones. Here are the three codes: P0340, P0354 and P1391. The first one concerns the camshaft position sensor, the second refers to ignition coil D and the third indicates an ignition system misfire. What I'm actually feeling in the car is the engine misfiring. At 113K miles I'm wondering if some new sparkplugs and wires would be in order? It's odd to me that I replace the sensor which fixes the starting problem but now have that code again but without the starting problem. Any ideas?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
z0086507.htmCAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 3.2/3.5L The camshaft position sensor is installed in the timing belt housing cover above the left camshaft sprocket Camshaft Position Sensor REMOVAL[*]Disconnect the negative battery cable.[*]Remove the upper intake plenum, Refer to Intake and Exhaust System.[*]Disconnect electrical connector from sensor.[*]Remove camshaft position sensor screw.[*]Pull sensor up out of the timing belt housing cover. [/ol] INSTALLATION If the removed sensor is reinstalled, clean off the old spacer on the sensor face. Attach a NEW SPACER to the face of the sensor before installation. If installing a new sensor, confirm that the paper spacer is attached to the face Paper Spacer - 3.2/3.5L Engine[*]Install sensor in the timing belt housing and push sensor down until contact is made with the camshaft sprocket. While holding the sensor in this position, install and tighten the retaining bolt to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.) torque.[*]Attach electrical connector to sensor.[*]Install the upper intake plenum, Refer to Intake and Exhaust System.[*]Connect the negative battery cable.[/ol]
You already provided a more detailed instructions on an early thread. I think this one will also help me. A lot more information in here than the earlier thread.