300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Limp Mode and P0700

Old 04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Default Limp Mode and P0700

I'm a member of 300mclub.org and I've run this situation by them, but I wanted to see if there was anyone else that could shed some light on the problem with my 300m before I bring it in for service next week.

One day my car went into limp mode. I had no idea what limp mode was at the time, but I was 60 miles from home and I had no option other than to drive home and keep restarting it. After about 10 tries it started and it shifted fine. It was a few weeks before this happened again. I noticed that if I drove from home to work and then eight hours later from work to home, it was fine. The problem seemed to appear if I drove it until at operating temperature, stopped at a store or some other place where I had to turn the car off, and restarted the car to go somewhere else. So from a cold start it was fine. But when restarted after having been warm, it went into this p0700 limp mode.

So the guys on 300mclub.org informed me that the speed sensors were most likely the culprit, so I bought a set and replaced them. Things were fine for a couple weeks. Then it started happening again. They said I may have gotten some bad sensors, so I changed them out again and I changed the transmission fluid and filter. So I go a little while longer, and then it starts happening when the car is cold. My only remedy at the time was to turn it off and restart it until I got a good start where it didn't go into limp mode. Just the other day I was driving and it kicked into limp mode while on the interstate, so I decided that I have to bite the bullet and bring it in for service.

Is there anything I've overlooked? I can do a moderate amount of work on a car, but I'm not a transmission expert. I'm hoping it's something that one of you guys have seen before, especally the Chrysler Tech guy.

It's a 2000 Chrysler 300M with 122,000 miles on it.

Thank you.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

p700 is a general code fro a trans issue u need a better scanner to get the real codes