300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

My 93 new yorker fifth avenue will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Exclamation My 93 new yorker fifth avenue will not start

93 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue 3.3l

A couple of weeks ago I pulled the battery cables off to tighten the cables to the connectors. I failed to pull the negative cable first. I first took off the positive connector, tightened the cables then connected it to the post. I then proceded to tighten the negative cable.

When I tried to start the car, i can hear the hum of the fuel pump, the starter was engaging, the engine was cranking over, but the car would not fire up. She was working just fine before I tightened the cables.

Since then my mechanic has run codes on his computer. The only things showing up as a sensor error were as follows:
#12 Battery was disconnected.
#22 it has something to do with the cooling system often tripped
when working on the cam shaft sensor.
#24 Trottle Positioning Sensor.
For whatever reason the fuel injectors are not engaging. No pulse to the fuel injectors. We have swapped out the computer, crank angle sensor, cam shaft sensor. We have learned that this model is designed with a Auto-shut down relay. If the computer is not getting a reading from either the cam or the crank sensor, the computer will not send a pulse to the injectors. Besides the computer is not reading any signs the the Auto-Shutdown relay was tripped. My mechanic tried to bypass something at the coil I forget what it was to try to start the car and still it won't start. $$$

There is an after market alarm system (Mopar OEM II keyless entry with 2 buttons "valet/over ride" with accomodating red and green led lights near the left knee of the driver) that will shut down the computer of there is a arch in the system. We have disengaged the alarm system by turning the key to the on position and pressing and holding the small black button just to the left of the emergency break release lever under the dash. Still nothing.

Will a faulty TPS cause my car's computer to disengage the ingnoition system?

Please if there is amyone out there that has encountered this problem with their Fifth Avenue, your positive input will be greatly apperciated.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Ahh...I miss those days......

Ok..... A 12 Volt test lamp...Clip to negative battery... and probe one of the ASD outputs. If I recall it was the green w/Black...Fuel pump, any of the injectors, Although the front ones are easier to get to, or the igntion coil.

Turn the key on but dont start it. the lamp should light for about 2 seconds and go out. Then while watching the lamp, it should light up again while cranking. This will test the Integrity of Crank sensor and Cam Sensor.

TPS and Coolant sensor share a 5 volt reference line, as well as a Ground. MAke sure 5 volts is available at both connectors, as well as the ground.

If you need a wiring diagram, let me know when you post your results.

It is very possible you may have spiked your PCM, but go thru the steps FIRST, before condemning a computer needlessly.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 AM

My mechanic has swapped out the crank sensor and the cam sensor. He also swapped out the compouter as well. so at this point im going to get the 12 volt tester that you talked about and follow what you said.

It would make senst that the 5 v reference line to the tps and coolant sensor would sent fault to the computer . I will look into that and let you know what I find. I think it irritating that people do not re-post what they found out when they resolve a situation on their car.
Thanks Djinn-n-toni c

Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM

if there is a short in the reference line or the ground line for the tps or coolant sensor. would that cause no spark in any way? or no injector pulse?