300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

No Heat in 99 LHS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Default No Heat in 99 LHS

OK, I have seen this problem mentioned many times with Chrysler LH cars but haven't seen or heard a definitive solution to this problem.

CAR:
1999 Chrysler LHS
134,XXX miles on body
62,XXX miles on engine

PROBLEM:
No heat in car no matter what settings: floor, defroster, etc.
There is no coolant leak in or outside of the car, no smell of coolant, coolant reservoir is full, both coolant lines going to the heater core are warm after the car warms up. I don't believe the thermostat is the issue since the heater core lines are warm to the touch and the temperature gauge does go to the middle when the car warms up. I have the ATC but I haven't checked it for codes yet. When I cycle between defroster, floor vents, etc. I do hear the mode door (or is it the blend door?) moving and the air does blow out of the proper vent. I have cycled from the "LO" setting to the "HI" setting to see if that made any difference and it did not.

I just had the engine replaced about 20 miles ago (runs great btw) and also had the battery replaced as well since the car sat for about 4 months awaiting a new engine. The heat DID work with the old engine which leads me to believe that it is NOT the heater core.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM

To add to this post, I just checked the ATC for trouble codes and got:

23 "Blend door actuator feedback failure" and
32 "Blend door actuator stall failure"

So basically this means that all physical elements of the heating system work except for the electronically controlled blend door. Suggestions? CHRYSLER TECH?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

NO: 24-13-98
SUBJECT: Lack of Cold Air FromA/C & DTC "BlendDoor Feedback"
DATE: Sep. 18, 1998
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Lack of cold air from the climate control system and the Scan Tool (DRBIIIŽ) indicates a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) of "BLEND DOOR FEEDBACK." Clearing the DTC with the DRBIIIŽ causes the system to return to normal operation providing cold air.

DIAGNOSIS:
Place climate control system on full fan speed, and lowest temperature setting in the "Outside Air" panel mode. Measure temperature of the air discharged.

With the DRBIIIŽ check DTCs in the Body Controller. Verify that DTC "BLEND DOOR FEEDBACK" exists. Do not check for DTCs by using the "on board" Climate Control Head Diagnostics method. This may erase an existing DTC.

If DTC "BLEND DOOR FEEDBACK" code exists then use the DRBIIIŽ to measure the Blend Door Actuator Feedback Voltage. Record the voltage. If DTC "BLEND DOOR FEEDBACK" does not exist then lack of cold air is not due to this DTC. Refer to page 24-8 of the 1999 Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/300M Service Manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140) for diagnosis of lack of cold air from the climate control system.

Check the operation of the blend door actuator feedback strip by using the "on board" Climate Control Head Diagnostics. Refer to page 24-9 of the 1999 Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/300M Service Manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140) under TROUBLE CODES FROM THE ATC CONTROL or TROUBLE CODES FROM THE MANUAL A/C CONTROL. The electronics will move the Blend Door Actuator from end to end and check the feedback strip. If DTC 23 "Blend Door Actuator Feedback Failure" occurs, then there may be a problem with the HVAC blend door, blend door actuator or associated wiring and not a problem with the Body Control Module (BCM).

If DTC 23 does not appear check to see if the air temperature from the PANEL outlets returns to proper cold air operation. Select the lowest temperature setting and measure the Blend Door Actuator Feedback Voltage again with the DRBIIIŽ.

Only replace the Body Control Module if all of the following conditions are met:

The Climate Control System initially cannot provide cold air at the full cold temperature setting.
Initially a "BLEND DOOR FEEDBACK" DTC was found by the DRBIIIŽ.
The blend door DTC 23 does not appear after testing the blend door actuator with the "on board" climate control diagnostics.
The system returns to providing cold air after running the "on board" climate control diagnostics.
The blend door actuator feedback voltage measured by the DRBIIIŽ in the full cold temperaturesetting has decreased more than 0.5 volt by running the "on board" climate control diagnostics.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 04759532AL Module, Body Control
(Concorde/Intrepid/300M Only)

(This module or later versions has the revised software)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves installing a Body Control Module (BCM) with revised software.

Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery remote cable from the remote battery post.
Open the front driver’s door and remove the left instrument panel end cap.
Remove the two screws from the lower instrument panel cover (outside end). Pull rearward on the lower instrument panel cover releasing the clips. Disconnect the decklid release switch wiring and remove the cover from the vehicle.
Remove the wire harness connectors from the Junction Block/BCM.
Remove the Junction Block/BCM four mounting screws.
Remove the Junction Block/BCM by pulling straight down from the mounting bayonet.
Disconnect the BCM wire connectors and RKE antenna connector.
Remove the Junction Block/BCM from the vehicle.
Remove the four BCM attaching screws from the Junction Block.
Disconnect the BCM from the Junction Block.
To install new BCM, reverse above procedures.
NOTE: THE REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY(RKE) MODULE IS ATTACHED TO THE BCM WITH THREE SCREWS. THIS MUST BE TRANSFERRED TO THE NEW BCM.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 AM

Thank you CHRYSLER TECH. I spent the past couple of hours tearing out the blend door actuator, not too bad except for that back screw...

As soon as the actuator came out of there the door moved and I now have heat. I am leaving it for now in hopes that the door stays in its current position for the winter. Come warmer weather I will install a new actuator, or lazily just drive my other car. Either way thanks for the help CHRYSLER TECH.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:00 AM

I have a complete HVAC system from a 2001 intrepid. Give me the part number on the one you removed and a picture top and bottom. If I have a match, you can have it if you pay the postage, otherwise it's going to the boneyard with rest of the carcass.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Here are the pics of the old blend door actuator:
Name:  2011-01-09_09-42-39_810.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  2011-01-09_09-42-25_642.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  88.1 KB

I don't know Chrysler's part number for this but on the actuator itself is the number: 58024E. PM me if we have a match.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by FatOldSun
I don't know Chrysler's part number for this but on the actuator itself is the number: 58024E. PM me if we have a match.
I will check when I get home from work today and let you know.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 007
I will check when I get home from work today and let you know.

Thanks, much appreciated.