300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

no start 99 LHS

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Default no start 99 LHS

engine died while driving. Just shut off as if key turned off. No ck eng lamp. No DTC's stored in computer. Similar to problem I had with 94 Intrepid years ago, so I replaced the cam sensor first thing. Still no start. Have fuel, pump runs, pressure at fuel rail. Checked connections at battery to see if perhaps a wire may have broken or bad connection-all ok. 178k miles on odometer. Timing belt? Please help. Even the Haynes manual seems a bit weak on this problem. Thanks, DaveC

Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

will it turn over ?? if so does it sounds faster then normal?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM

No ck eng lamp. No DTC's stored in computer.
thats gonna be your key to the puzzle

I'll assume this is a 3.5????

A few checks......
#1 Google ASD relay , and familiarize yourself with what it is and what it does.....
#2 go find, buy, borrow or steal a 12v test lamp and a thin paper clip
#3go find an assistant, ...Spouse , Child, Neighbors child, or just a common Passerby will do...

#4 Sit in the drivers seat and crank the engine, while watching the Tachometer...does it "BOUNCE" or "Flutter" while cranking?
#5 since you replaced the cam sensor, you are undoubtedly familiar with where it is, and how it is removed......Pull it back out......Now...have an assistant crank the engine while looking in the hole, DOES THE CAMSHAFT TURN??

Now, in the rear of the car....Locate the fuel pump connector,and disconnect it. Find the power feed wire (Dark green with white stripe), and with your testlamp, clamp to a brake line or other suitanle ground, and probe the feed wire. Have your assistant turn the ignition "ON" without cranking the engine. You should see a 2-3 second light that extinguishes.
Now, while still probing the wire, Have the assistant crank the engine.....DOES THE LAMP ILLUMINATE WHILE CRANKING???

Post back your answers.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 02-13-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:01 PM

As it turns out, it was the crank sensor after all. I did loosen the front cover enough to see the timing belt and had my wife crank the engine so I could see it move. I remembered that I had replaced it a while back when I replaced the water pump. I was fairly sure the fuel pump was ok as I could hear it run when key turned on and I had fuel pressure at the shrader valve. Anyway, this morning I went down to local Oreilly's and picked up a crank sensor and voila, problem solved. Thanks for the replies, DaveC

Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 PM

I thought of checking the camshaft for rotation thru the sensor hole, but it is a lot to remove the intake enough to see into the hole. This 3.5 HO is a bit different than the 3.5 in my 94 Intrepid. Thanks again, DaveC

Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM

This 3.5 HO is a bit different than the 3.5 in my 94 Intrepid.
Yep....The cam sensor is right at the top of the left hand Cover.....

Anyways......Just for reference...What I told you to check, was to Verify..CRANK SENSOR operation..

Crank sensor provides PCM with an RPM signal. Turning the ignition to on, PCM energizes the ASD relay for 2 seconds, to prime the fuel system. (Which is the fuel you found in the rail)...After the prime is done, ASD will NOT energize again until the PCM has recieved an RPM signal from Crank sensor during Cranking.

Watching the Tachometer would have been your first dead giveaway...

The NO DTC's that you mentioned.... Normal, Because without a Crank signal...He doesnt know he is doing anything wrong.....It is just sitting there, doing nothing, which is completely normal for a car that is sitting parked.