Go Back   Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums > Chrysler Vehicles > Past Chrysler Models > 300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Default P0340 Camshaft Pos. Sensor

My check engine light recently came on in my2004 Concordeand when driving it, it shifting very weird out of first gear. The next day the light went off but I still ran a check on the code. It came back as a P0340 code which is the camshaft positioning sensor. I was wondering if anyone knows where that is located and how to change it. Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on ChryslerForum!
__________________
2004 Chrysler Concorde LXi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Hi there buddy. I don't really know where it is located. But I think the right thing that you should do is to change your Camshaft. This would really be the best solution..

Last edited by Brandon Paul; 09-28-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Paul View Post
Hi there buddy. I don't really know where it is located. But I think the right thing that you should do is to change your Camshaft This would really be the best solution..
I don't see any reason to replace the camshaft or the cam sensor until proper diagnosis is done.

TOOOOOOOOO many times, people just throw a part at it because of some code. One day I was in Autozone and overheard the counter guy selling a customer a ton of sensors because that's what their little code reader said was bad. I laughed to myself then caught the guy in the parking lot as he was leaving with a bag of stuff, and offered to fix his car right. the next day, he came to my shop and the whole problem was a bad spark plug wire. Most of the codes were caused by him because he had the key on and was unplugging stuff. Anyway, I charged him $50 to fix it (20min of my time). I bet he bought over $150 worth of sensors.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Default

I agree with the previous post, DO NOT just replace that sensor. A camshaft positioning sensor will not cause a shifting problem. "LH" body cars like yours had a common problem with the input and output turbine sensors on the transmission. They would cause the trans to stick or shift funny in and out of first gear. If you didn't use a chrysler OBD III scanner or a good Snap-On to read the code, your scanner my be giving you false information. These sensors are about $20.00 a piece and can be replaced relatively easily but the trans will then need to be "Quicklearned" (which is a resetting of the shift points) by Chrysler. They will probably charge you a hour of labor to do that...any more and their ripping you off.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledodge1 View Post
I agree with the previous post, DO NOT just replace that sensor. A camshaft positioning sensor will not cause a shifting problem. "LH" body cars like yours had a common problem with the input and output turbine sensors on the transmission. They would cause the trans to stick or shift funny in and out of first gear. If you didn't use a chrysler OBD III scanner or a good Snap-On to read the code, your scanner my be giving you false information. These sensors are about $20.00 a piece and can be replaced relatively easily but the trans will then need to be "Quicklearned" (which is a resetting of the shift points) by Chrysler. They will probably charge you a hour of labor to do that...any more and their ripping you off.

thanks for the support, however directing someone to trans sensors is premature until diagnostic data can be provided.

I bought a caravan from a chevy dealer that had a "junk" transmission according to their ace mechanics. I bought it for $450. less than 20 minutes of owning it, I found the problem, fixed the problem for FREE. the next day I sold the van for $1500.

Point is, unless a very specific description is given, pin pointing the problem is purely speculation and more often than not leads the person down the wrong path. The only way I'd say definitively about a solution is if it's a commonly know failure (ie, air bag light Gen3 minivan = clock spring, Overdrive trans shifts 1-2 but goes to neutral on 2-3 shift = OD hub broken or planet carrier splines stripped)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Default

I agreed with you, but this forumn is about getting ideas about what could be wrong with a person's vehicle. I too can name more than my share of specific model TSB's and recalls. If you want a pin pointed answer, break out your wallet and take it to a dealer who has the proper equipment, service manuals, and trained personel to work on you specific car. On the other hand, someone could continue to take the "advise" that is given on this website for what it is, and make an educated judgement on their own. Unlike a previous person, I didn't recommend to "replace the camshaft." Come-on.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Default

P.S. Input and output turbine sensors were very common problems in 41TE and 41LE Chrylser/Dodge Transmissions.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledodge1 View Post
P.S. Input and output turbine sensors were very common problems in 41TE and 41LE Chrylser/Dodge Transmissions.

A bad turbine sensor will cause NO shift. he stated the shift was "weird". A bad output speed sensor will cause NO shift and NO speedometer. A 'weird' shift can be caused by a multitude of issues. A 'common' weird 1-2 or 2-1 shift is frequently the L/R piston area.

As for common failure... they really are not all that 'common' to fail. On average I rebuild 50-100 604/606 transmissions per year. There are several 'common' failures like Gen3 minivans blowing up differentials (working of 4 of those right now), broken OD hubs/stripped planet carrier (Have 2 waiting for repair), Broken OD/UD snap ring (pre 1995), and so on.

I've only had one bad speed sensor in the past year... and it was an output sensor. I've had more wiring failures than sensor failures.

The biggest thing I hate is when someone says, "just toss in new sensors" that is rarely the case unless accurate diagnosis has been done.

BTW Quick learn is NOT needed what so ever if changing speed sensors. Infact, it's really not needed at all because the TCM will learn. The only benifit to Quick learn is to get the operating perameters a bit closer when the TCM has lost it's memory (ie disconnect battery) or if the transmission has been changed or rebuilt where the CVI values would be greatly different. The quick learn proceedure cycles the transmission thru all forward ranges and analyzes the amount of time it takes for the pistons to apply. It commands Solenoid on and monitors the time for the pressure switch to activate. Based on these 2 factors, the CVI value can be established. Then the TCM will know timing for shift control based on the apply time. This is how the adaptive learning works.

I can get into a lot more detail but I don't have the time to write the numerous pages necessarry to fully explain the logic controls of the TCM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Wow, slow down on the posting....I must have upset you. For that, I am sorry. Once again you are correct in you postings but, when ever you work on anything electrical on an automobile, let alone transmission work, the first thing you do is disconnect the battery. The TCM then loses the adaptive memory and the quicklearn is needed to reset the CVI values to factory defaults. On a lighter note, we have gotten WAY off topic and helping no one. I will definity consult you with any chrysler problems I get stumped on. Have a great day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledodge1 View Post
Wow, slow down on the posting....I must have upset you. For that, I am sorry. Once again you are correct in you postings but, when ever you work on anything electrical on an automobile, let alone transmission work, the first thing you do is disconnect the battery. The TCM then loses the adaptive memory and the quicklearn is needed to reset the CVI values to factory defaults. On a lighter note, we have gotten WAY off topic and helping no one. I will definity consult you with any chrysler problems I get stumped on. Have a great day.

Quick learn is NOT needed under any circumstance. It is a feature that 'helps' the transmission get back it's adaptive learning, but isn't a must be done thing. If that was the case, you'd see 100's of posts from people that installed a new battery wondering why their trans is messed up.

If you read the adaptive learning strategy for the relearn proceedure (pre-quick learn). you can see how the transmission will relearn is accomplished.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
 
 
 
Reply



Tags
03, 2004, 300m, 97, cam, change, chrysler, code, concorde, p0340, pacifica, po340, sebring, sensor, srt4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.

Emails Backup