Go Back   Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums > Chrysler Vehicles > Past Chrysler Models > 300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Default Problem with concorde shifting gears

A few days ago, I was parking my 1999 chrysler concorde when I tried to put the gear into park, but it just wouldn't park... I bought this vehicle 2nd hand so, when I first moved the shifter it was a little difficult, but it still moved. After I took it to the chrysler dealership, my concorde was acting funny. After driving it for 30 minutes, the "Check Engine" light went on, then a few days later the incident with parking happened. So I put the vehicle on Neutral and I was able to get the key out and start the engine.

Now, just a couple days ago, my vehicle won't change to park or drive or even neutral. It's currently stuck on 3, however I was still able to get the key out. I had a friend of mine check to see if it was the gear shift cable under the hood, but he told me that it was fine. Everything under the hood was in perfect condition.

I don't know what to do or think. The chrysler dealership wrote that the gear selector cable needed to be changed, is that the real problem? And if it is, then could any guy who has a fair bit of mechnical background fix it? And how much would it roughly be to get the parts or parts and labour done? Ugh, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on ChryslerForum!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM

The shifter cable probably broke under the center console at the shifter.Theres alot of crud the can get down in there and corrode the cable and/or the end bushing that connects it to the shifter.I think the shifter has a T25 torx screw in it towards the ashtray,pull the shifter all the way down into 1st gear and take out the screw,pull shifter handle off and the lift the center cover up and you'll be able to see if the cable is broke at the shifter or not.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM
1998 Chrysler Concorde

There is a recall on the shift "plunger". It breaks. It's just a little plastic shaft with a spring on it that goes down into the shifter shaft so that when you push the button on the gear shift ****, it depresses the plunger which allows you to shift. It sounds like that may only be part of the problem though. I went to the dealer for my 98 concorde for that issue. They just ordered me the new plunger, didn't charge me anything and said I would have to install it because the recall is too old for them to service. It's not too hard to do.
You may also have another issue, such as a cable problem. But rather than it being broken, it could be pinched or kinked.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 AM

Thanks for your replies! They were definitely specific and helpful for someone who doesn't know a lot about cars. =D I really appreciate this.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 AM

Tags
03, 1999, 2000, cable, chrysler, concorde, concordia, difficult, gear, park, put, selector, shift, shifter, wont