300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Putting back the Valve body on the transmission - 2004 Concorde lxi

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Default I just found this link from the website refering to number #3 piston.

I just saw this explantion about #3 piston I was telling you about. this is exactly how it is. so based on this explanation, it seems that both pistons I have are indeed #1 and 2.

"The piston by itself is the reverse-low acccumulator piston. It is installed with the spring going in first (there may be more than one spring).Open end of the piston goes over the spring. Be sure the seals are in good shape.

The plug goes in next with the little circle facing out, then put in the snap ring to hold it together.

The underdrive and overdrive pistons go in the other two holes. These pistons go in closed end first with springs following.

Regarding the springs, the manual says this:

NOTE: Depending on engine application, some accumulators will have two springs and others will have one spring. The springs are color-coded according to application and year. When disassembling, mark accumulator spring location to ease assembly.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Is that too risky? thanks.
No...Not at all.....

I rule I have learned with trans work.....If it fits..its in the right place....It isnt exactly "Corporate practice" to swap the pistons, but it isnt going to hurt either....For next time..mark the locations on dissassembly.

I dont remember offhand...are there "Spring Seats" or do the springs just Touch the plate of V/B???? We use what we call "Trans Gel" which is sort of a paste made out of trans fluid and Petroleum jelly, which dissolves in Trans fluid.... In a Pinch, plain old Vaseline will do.... Pack the jelly into the bottoms of the pistons, and slip the springs in. The jelly will hold the springs in place while you fish the V/B up into place and pull the cardboard out.

Are the springs different???? as far as I remember, each piston gets a spring.....Before you bolt this up...test fit the pistons and springs in BOTH holes, and use the combination that fits "BETTER"....I really dont forsee these being a problem....

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 05-23-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM

The springs are exactly the same. As far as I have seen in other posts, they are completely interchangeable. Now that I'm so excited to have figured this out with your help it started to rain outside. bummer. So I wrapped the hole with a plastic bag to prevent any dirt from getting there. Anyway, before I put this all together tomorrow morning, is there anything you techs use to clean up the body before it goes in? Like a spray or something? And by the way, thank you for the tip on the petroleum gelly to hold it all together.
I really appreciate your help. Really! Thank you very, very much.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Youre quite welcome...This is why I come here.....Its much more gratifying to know that you understand what you learned, than it is to fix it for you.

As for cleaning...Brake parts cleaner, Carb cleaner, Basically anything "ACETONE IN A CAN", provided it doesnt leave a residue.....WINDEX is a NO NO

Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Default The car is working fine.

Hi, I just wanted to thank you again. I put everything together this morning and it's all working fine. Have a great day!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Youre very welcome...Glad it worked out.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Default same prob with 300m

There's 4 steel marbles where do they go