300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

steering lock up

Old 12-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Default steering lock up

this is a 99 lhs, about 3 weeks ago, my wife complained tat the steering felt stiff, I was able to verify the problem easily. I checked the fluid level which was to spec, although dirty. Never have changed power steering fluid except when changing the pump. I used a syringe and removed all the fluid in the reservoir. then topped it off with fresh fluid. I ran the engine and ran the steering from stop to stop a few times then removed the fluid and refilled again. After a second run the fluid had little discoloration. The steering still felt stiff. there was no loss of fluid and only a very slight noise from the power steering pump. So slight if you werent paying attention you wouldnt notice it. After driving for a couple of days the stiffness remained, which meant either a rack or a pump. This afternoon while pulling in the driveway the steering would not turn left. turning right is stiff like before but it will not turn left. Does this sound like the rack? Can it be replaced without removing the engine? Is this a safety issue with chrysler? Keep in mind I havent physically looked at it yet, I will do so when I get home this evening. I'll update later, if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your imput.

Thanks
Keith

Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM

What fluid did you use?
Mopar ATF+4 is the proper fluid.
Had a similar issue by using "power steering fluid"
Flushed with ATF+4 and 2 years later still good.
Yes the rack can be replaced without removing the engine, but is a labor intensive job.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Apparently Daimler Chrysler had issue with this rack in all the LH cars. But they paper toy refuse to acknowledge it. There are numerous web pages with thousands of complaints from locking totally up to dragging badly apparently a number of wrecks have occurred. NTSB has an ongoing investigation. In the mean time I have to fix the car. Looks like the rack comes out the top after removing the panel below the wipers. There doesn't seem to be a problem with tie rod ends, I am going to disconnect them and recheck before I start removing the rack

Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 AM

True it is not the best steering gear system in use. FWIW there is a pin attaching the coupling to the gear that is hard to R&R. Easy way is to unbolt the couplinfg under the dash and deal with the pin once the gear is out.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Default update

the removal and replacement was not a bad job at all, took about 2 hours, headsup the toughest part was removing the pin from the coupler. reinstall went very well, there was some confusion as to what fluid to use as what was in the resevoir was so dirty i couldnt tell if was power steering fluid or atf 4, I drained the resevoir and used atf 4. filled the resevior and ran the wheel stop to stop then topped off and did it again untill the level didnt drop anymore. then went out for a test drive very nice, quite, and smooth, what i noticed was the steering is much stiffer then then the old rack, any idea why? I already checked the ball joints and tie rod ends. I did install new bushings on the inner tie rod ends. any ideas ?