300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Strong Smell of gas/fuel inside car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Default Strong Smell of gas/fuel inside car

I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M. Recently, I have noticed a strong smell of fuel/gas inside the car. If the A/C or heater are on and the recycle air button is not on, it gets pretty bad. Can also smell it outside of the vehicle after I have parked the vehicle. Can smell it at the front of the engine when the hood is up and the engine is running, and also at the rear of the engine, back by the MAS. But it's not real bad. No check engine light and no visible evidence of anything looking like a leak. Any ideas???

Thanks

Old 12-01-2013, 12:56 AM

could be a small hole in a gas line only leaking under pressure from the pump

Old 12-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

grab a flash light and look around for the gas leak no one can really tell u whats leaking online sorry

Old 12-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Well after doing some more research, and some inspection work, I found that the problem was a leaking fuel supply line/tube. It appears that this is a common problem on this car. It is NOT an easy fix to do on the ground. I was lucky and had access to a hoist for this job. You need to remove your windshield wiper arms, cowling under them, then the strut support bar and the duct work to the throttle body. You now have access to the back of the engine where the upper connection is located. Disconnect here and then go to the bottom of the car and remove the connection in the rear, by the fuel tank.Some fuel will leak out, so be careful not to get any in your eyes!! Remove the fuel line from the clips underneath and near the front wheel. Line should be loose now, so CAREFULLY fish it out and install the new one, in the reverse order! Be VERY CAREFUL when fishing the new line in as to not kink or bend it. This is the part where the hoist makes it easier! If you do not have access to a hoist, then get the car as HIGH UP in the air as you can. Don't forget the jack stands people!!! After installing the line and making all the connections, BEFORE you put the strut brace back in, start car and check for leaks. If all is well, re-install remaining parts in reverse order of removal. Pretty easy! The part # for this fix was 05010225AA, cost is about $80 at the dealer, and much to my surprise, the part was in stock! Now my line was leaking at the plastic line that is attached to the metal line, you could probably just splice some new fuel injection into the existing line without having to replace the whole line. However, if it is the plastic connector itself that is cracked, you have NO choice but to replace the whole line. I choose to just replace the whole line to HOPEFULLY prevent any future problems!