300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

The weirdest thing

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Angry The weirdest thing

1999 lhs

Wife was at the store and noticed the smell of antifreeze, she saw a small puddle under the car. She started the car noted the temp was normal and quickly headed home, before she got there, 3 miles, it started rattling and clanging she pulled over shut it off. She was about a half a mile from home. So after a short cool down she went to restart, the car started but had no power she said it was like running on 4 cylinders. She walked home. I towed the car home the next day a preliminary investigation revealed no coolant. I filled the system to try and determine where the leak was. There was nothing conclusive but I'm thing water pump. Ok that's major but no problem, I went ahead and got the kit. I haven't got into it yet, I thought I'd go ahead and start it up let it come up to temp and verify the problem wasn't on the outside of the timing cover. Trouble is car won't start, turns over fine sounds normal. Pulled one coil grounded spark plug and found no spark. WTH. Coolant leak and no spark. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any sensors behind the timing cover? God forbid that timing belt broke, that would pretty much finish a great car.

Keith

Old 11-30-2013, 03:51 PM

Btw it's a 3.5

Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM

I'm thinking if the water pump was leaking and the timing belt broke or jumped, then I have 2 things happening. First the piston has bent the valves and second the cams are rotating causing the camshaft position sensor to not have a signal so in turn no spark. Only trouble with that there are no trouble codes.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

remove the inspection cover and take a look

Old 12-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Default Update

Got the front cover off, what had happened was the bearing in the water pump went bad this caused the timing belt to shred, but not break. The slack did roll it out of time by 3 teeth. I am assuming the sync between the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor was not in sync and the ECM shut off the ignition. Once I replaced everything and retimed started right up and ran great.

I dodged a bullet in that valves didn't hit the pistons

Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

usually dont pop a vale I have had it happen 2x though