Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

**HELP** with front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:44 PM
moe
Default RE: **HELP** with front end noise

yeah kay thats the one.heres one we had last week.t was a car like yours we had noise from right side when you bounced car. i found out the tie rod ends were rusted but you couldn't tell because of the covering.so i took a small screwdriver and punched a hole in the boot and put some "WD40" in the opening till it ran out.noise worked its way out.never came back.worth a try!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 PM

I hope that I have this figured out. I had the bushings replaced because of an increasing crunching noise with the shocks over every bump, when the car stopped etc. The first day after the repair the quietness was great, Then on a long trip (same day), both the shocks and the banging reappeared to the point that I was ready to sell. Once I arrived home, I tested the left front. If the front wheel is pressed down, there's fairly loud clicking produced. I first sprayed the struct mount area (see a couple of postings back in this thread), then worked the wheel/suspension 15-20 times. The drive next day was perfect and has remained for the last week. There remains a very slight clicking noise (not the same as the first one) when pushing down on the body over the wheel and it seems to be coming from the upper strut mount area. But the drive is excellent and QUIET. I know that this will not last, but I will get the front struts changed at some point.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 AM
moe

does the noise come from center of wheel like the axle area?try standing on side of car and have some onedrive the car from reverse and then forward (almost like rocking affect)see if axle nuts may have come loose.see this problem on pacificas alot.moe.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Is anyone else having noise in the rear-end as well? 02 sebring has the front end noise everyone is describing, but i've learned to live with it, but the back end is starting to "click" everytime the suspension moves more than 2-3 inches.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 PM

chsb02:

If you see my previous posting, I'm sure that this could apply to the rear struts as well. I would surmise that the upper coil is not seating properly at either the top or bottom end, or possible the strut's absorber rod is out of alignement or worn. Something along these lines.

Try standing beside the wheel well and press down on the body to get the suspension to compress. Is there an unique noise? If there's a crunching noise - it could be the mount bushings, but if it's a distinct metal sound, my guess is as I noted above. In either case, there is a very small amount that permitting the noise to be created. I have put the front of the car on the jack to let the strut expand. Sometimes this helps for a short while as the components get a chance to re-align.

I've come to the conclusion after 10 months that the noise is in the upper strut area. Right now everything great (considering it cost me $400 to get the front strut bushings changed and things were actually worst for about 3 days). As I wrote before, I know that it will not last and I'm prep to get the struts changed when I've had enoungh of the noise. But you now have my entire theory on the matter.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Found problem and fixed it for less than $10.00. It used to be you went in for a oil change and a lube job. On newer cars the ball joints are sealedand do not requiregrease, "Or Do They?" On theSebring you haveone upper and two lower ball joints. WhatI did is to punchure the smallest hole possible and insert the plastic straw that comes with a can of silicone lube stray. If done right the hole is air tight and asyou spray the lube in the boot will inflate.At some point the pressure becomes too great and it sprays out around the hole. I did this to all three joints and now no noise.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM

I haven't had the noise (except for two days between Christmas and New Years) since the end of Oct. I'm guessing that the noise is within the strut where something (like the center rod) gets dislodged and can rattle freely. Sounds silly, but I'm fairly confident that this is the source. I'm waiting to hear if the noise returns, but might just get the struts changed anyhow as I'm going to buy new tires in a few weeks.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
moe

hey drutkay,jam truck did what i said might be the cause.worth giving it a try.have the guys putting the struts on.do this for you.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 AM

2004 sebring 108000 km rattling knocking souund.I checked my vehicle out using a rubbber hammer annd found my problem very quickly which sounds like your problem which was found to be the outer end double ball joint link from the sway bar to the lower control arm.I was lucky because this link was changed a couple years ago after a fender bender and had grease fittings unlike oringinal equipment so i was ablle to grease it and now my car is like new.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM

i found it to be the double ball joint on the outer right hand sway bar going to the lower control arm.Mine was after market on that side so i was able to grease it and poof fixed

Quick Reply: **HELP** with front end noise