Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

01 sebring A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Default 01 sebring A/C question

Hi all.. I have an 01 sebring sedan. When I turn the A/C on after a few minutes of the air blowing from the vents like its supposed to, it will switch on its own and blow from the defrost outlets. Sometimes it will switch back by itself, but most of the time it wont andI cannot make it blow from the vents with it in A/C mode untill I have restarted it later in the day. If I switch it to heat or non A/C mode then I can control where the air will flow. Defrost, vent or on the floor. But if I switch back to A/C weather its in the Vent or Mix or Recycle modes, it will always go back to blowing out of the defrost vents if it had alreadly started acting up. Does this make sense to anybody? Or any idea howI can fix this? I have had other cars that would only blow from the defrost if there was a vaccuum leak, but Im not sure where to look or what to check on this car...

Thanks for any help

Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 01 sebring A/C question

well your car does not have vac lines thay are all done by motors. either a motor is not doing well or a door is messed up with the air mix,or rec. Need ascanner to run through a test. What U can do is unplug your iod fuse for 5 min and then plug it back it that will force the ac system to re learn the door span and just might take care of your issue. The iod fuse is on the side fuse panel and will be rased up.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:06 PM

That didnt seem to work... It still blows for awhile from the vents and then will switch to either the defrost of the floor... no matter with position I have it on in A/C. But it doesnt do that when not in the A/C mode. Any other ideas?

Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

well all of the drivers and controls are done by the BCM which is behind the fuse box in the dash the part is around 500 i think. But b4 spending that money see if some one can get into the bcm and see if there are any codes for the doors like driver feed back failure aka amotor or something but if it works some times then go bad then i would say its the BCM doing that.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 AM

After 4 mos of enduring this problem and doing some research I finaly came to the conclusion that my problem was actually the Heater-A/C controler itself. The part in the dash with the 3 ***** and the rear defrost button. I replaced that and everything works great now. Just thought I would relay the info incase others have the same problem.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 AM

I had to replace the same thing in my 96.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM

I have a 2004 sebring with the blower motor only working on the highest setting #4 and the ac comes on and off by itself and switches from defrost to vent. So if I change the resistor that will take care of the blower settings right? And changing the control switches like hawker did in previous thread should fix the ac problem? Has anyone else done this also and would you have a part # or name for the part for ordering? Thanks for any info.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Just go to the dealer and order a new resistor. They'll have the part number. It's an easy replacement. You access the resistor below the glove box. There's a "silencer" you take off down there then look for the wiring.
On my '01 sedan, the replacement part was fatter than the original, so I had to enlarge the hole with a rat tail file, but it's not a big chore at all.
Look on eBay for a replacement control head. If you have a sedan or convertible, it's another easy replacement. Pop the trim surrounding the control head beginning from the bottom using your fingers. Then using a plastic trim tool or a flat putty knife, continue popping the trim off. There are 6 clips. There are two plugs to remove; squeeze and pull. If you bought the trim piece with the control head attached, just plug in the wires and snap it all back in place.Very quick. Ifyou just bought the control head, it's held to the trim piece by some small screws. Again, not a big job.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Thankyou dcotter, I replaced the resistor yesterday and used a utility knife to open the slot a little and it worked great. And now I'm going to check for a control head, so thanks for the info. This site is very informative.