Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

01 Sebring Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Default 01 Sebring Trans Problem

2001 Sebring Convertible LXi, 2.7L engine.

Yesterday while driving, the car seemed to slip out of gear briefly, then she went into gear, but would not shift. The check engine light went on at the same time. I stopped on the way home to get gas, and when I re-started, the forward gears appeared to be shifting properly again, but I have no reverse. When I got her home, I scanned the codes, and got a P0733, P0700, and pending P0700, in that order.

I have done some checking, and the P0700 appears to be a generic trans trouble code, and the P0733 indicates a mismatch between the input RPM and the output RPM, which apparently is commonly caused by a malfunctioning speed sensor. The speedometer and rev counter still work, indicating that the output speed sensor is probably not the problem.

Is there any chance that the no reverse problem is related, and might be fixed without having to go into the transmission? (I don't trust my skills with internal transmission work.)

Old 06-24-2016, 12:26 PM

There will probably be other codes stored in the transmission computer, so there may be information there that will guide the repair process. The best thing would be to take it somewhere and have the codes read by a sufficiently sophisticated scanner to retrieve whatever is in there. The usual run-of-the-mill scanner probably won't get that far into the system. A good transmission shop would have the capabilities to not only run electronic but also hydraulic tests. They would expect to be paid for their services, of course.

If you want to try to remedy the situation yourself, there are a couple of things you could try. If the trans fluid is overdue for a change, you could do that. You could also replace the solenoid pack. Those are both DIY projects that are relatively inexpensive and have a chance, at least, of fixing the problem. You can search the forum here and the internet generally for tips and how-tos on both topics. If neither does the trick, and you have to resort to a professional repair, you will at least have ruled out those as sources of the problem, and new fluid in the trans is never a bad thing. Be sure to use only the exact fluid specified for your car. Don't get the idea that something newer or "better" would be a good substitute. The transmission is designed around the fluid and anything different is probably not going to work as well.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Thank you, dcotter. I had a friend with a slightly more sophisticated scanner stop by, but his was not able to get any codes from the TCM, either.

In my looking up the codes, I've found posts where people replaced the speed sensors for the P0733, but I'm guessing that that would not solve the no reverse problem?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 PM

I have no idea. It's a cheap and easy swap though, and wouldn't hurt anything to try.