Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Question Engine swap

I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with 2.7l V6.
I also have a wrecked 2001 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4l V6.

I am wanting to know if the engine/transmission from the 2001 Dodge Stratus will easily transplant into the 2002 Chrysler Sebring?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Drag along the exhaust system, the computer, the engine mounts, and all engine-mounted accessories and it MIGHT work. Or it might not.

You will wind up with a nightmare vehicle that no dealership will touch and will have essentially $0
resale value. If you want to take that project on, feel free.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Notwithstanding the fact that if the dealership would touch it, they'd rip you off, like they did a co-worker who had 1 out of 6 ignition coils replaced on his Chrysler Pacifica to the tune of $700. To beat it all, the dealership didn't even fix the customer's complaint!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by t vago
Notwithstanding the fact that if the dealership would touch it, they'd rip you off, like they did a co-worker who had 1 out of 6 ignition coils replaced on his Chrysler Pacifica to the tune of $700. To beat it all, the dealership didn't even fix the customer's complaint!
If you have something of worth to add to the topic then do so. Nobody actually cares about your friend and his troubles with his dealer. This isn't the complaint department.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Default Engine swap

I have gotten tired of these negitve things so I searched for a better answer. Now I hope I don't get in trouble for this but here is where I found an answer to this problem Another 2.7 to 3.2 swap - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Some people have made it work. And the dealer could have given us this answer earlier, but Chrysler doesn't want us to know.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

2.7 to 3.2 or 3.5 yes is do able with computer and wire harness swap over but no dealer will do such a thing because they wont be liable for anything that goes wrong with it an independent shop will or a personal owner will.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Talking Good luck with that

Originally Posted by jimmyjets33
I have gotten tired of these negitve things so I searched for a better answer. Now I hope I don't get in trouble for this but here is where I found an answer to this problem Another 2.7 to 3.2 swap - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Some people have made it work. And the dealer could have given us this answer earlier, but Chrysler doesn't want us to know.
The 2.7 to 3.2 swap on that thread involves an Intrepid, which has the engine mounted longitudinally. The engine in the Sebring is mounted transversely. I would expect that it won't be the weekend project that is described there. Since you're so sure you can pull this off, how about taking lots of pictures as it goes along and writing it up so the whole world can see what you've managed to accomplish. Keep track of the money you spend so we can see what a bargain this is. We'll be looking forward to your report.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
If you have something of worth to add to the topic then do so. Nobody actually cares about your friend and his troubles with his dealer. This isn't the complaint department.
Hey, what stealership do you work for?

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The 2.7 to 3.2 swap on that thread involves an Intrepid, which has the engine mounted longitudinally. The engine in the Sebring is mounted transversely. I would expect that it won't be the weekend project that is described there. Since you're so sure you can pull this off, how about taking lots of pictures as it goes along and writing it up so the whole world can see what you've managed to accomplish.
That way, the know-it-alls on this board will still mock you and tell you that you did something worthless.

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Keep track of the money you spend so we can see what a bargain this is. We'll be looking forward to your report.
I just love this can-do attitude that pervades this board.

And people wonder why people hold Chrysler dealerships in such little regard.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM

If you knew ANYTHING about what you were saying, you wouldn't be here asking questions. Your project is going to burn you bad. You didn't like the answers you got (which were the right answers) so you go on the attack. It's obvious who the @hole is here. The thing to do would be junk that POS and start over with another car. However, you seem to like the idea of self inflicted bullet holes in your feet. Have fun.

And BTW, insults mean nothing coming from someone like yourself. I enjoy watching the outcome of stupid escapades. It's very big on Youtube. They're called "FAIL Compilations"

Last edited by TNtech; 02-01-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Actually, Vago put a 3.5 into his Sebring. Might be the only guy in the world to actually accomplish the feat. Hats off to him. I wonder if he ever got the A/C up and running....

Most people look at a car as a useful tool to help you accomplish things, like get places and get home again. If it breaks, they make a rational decision whether to repair or replace it based on economic factors, with maybe a little emotional aspect if they really like the car.
Some people look at a non-running car as a personal challenge to be overcome at all costs.
Whatever floats yer boat.

Personally, I think we should run a contest to complete this sentence:

"And the dealer could have given us this answer earlier, but Chrysler doesn't want us to know because...."

First prize could be a year's free membership on the site here.

Quick Reply: Engine swap