Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

02 Sebring won't start (no power)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Default 02 Sebring won't start (no power)

Hi, new to the board. My Sebring died on me unexpectedly one morning. It was/is completely dead. My headlights , dash lightsand my interior lights come on but when I turn the key, nothing. Not even a click. I took the battery out of the car and took it to Discount Auto. They checked it out and said it just needed charging so I bought a brand new charger and slow charged it. Again, NOTHING. I noticed my radio lights and clock lights don't work also. I won't jump start either. I checked my ignition fuses but they seem ok. Someone told me there was a "main fuse" but I can't locate it. If it's under my hood in the fuse bow there, it isn't called a "main". I don't know where to start.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Default RE: 02 Sebring won't start (no power)

An Automatic ShutDown Relay (ASD) could be the cause. Usually mounted on the firewall on Sebrings. Tap it, unplug it, replug it, generally, play with it. If it works, then fails again, replace it.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Assuming your Sebring is a sedan or convertible, the ASD will be found in the power distribution center under the hood. Check the fuses in there as well. Also in there is the starter motor relay. Check that. Given that it won't crank at all, that's probably more likely the cause than the ASD.
There is a legend under the cover for what's what in there.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM

i dont know what the result of this was for you, if you got it fixed or not, but the same thing happened in my '02 sebring, and they said it was because the aftermarket alarm (i didnt know i had!) was somehow connected to the starter system and the alarm had a short so in turn the starter had a short. they disabled the alarm, and now the car starts fine, but im having issues with the speedometer and its stuck in gear, so i think something happened when they disabled the alarm. but you may want to check that out, just a suggestion, since my starter system and battery were fine.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 AM

2001 Sebring LX Convertible ....
Wouldn't start. Turn the key and the only warning light that lit up was the oil light, the rest wouldn't light up. Radio was dead but AC and all lights worked. Turn the key and nothing at all happened.

Problem was the starter relay. Pulled it out, put it back in and replaced the engine/fuel fuse, and the car started. Drove to auto parts store and bought a new relay $14.99.

Last edited by Zeladoni; 10-30-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Default 2001 Chrysler Sebring Conv would not start

The fix was replacing a 10amp fuse under the hood of the car in the relay/fuse pane.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 PM

My 2003 Sebring would not start. The oil light would come on but the radio and other dash lights were not working. It was a 20amp starter fuse in the fuse panel under the hood.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Default 2002 Sebring

My Sebring did this same thing yesterday. It was the number 8 fuse under the hood. Replaced that and it started just fine. I read on another message board that the number eight 20 amp fuse has 4 things to run and gets weak or overloaded quite often on the Sebring. So far, so good.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 PM

This was the one that did it for me. I had the same thing happen. Oil light was on but no gauges and no radio. I tried what everyone said to do and finally this fuse was the one that was the problem. Started right up. I was all ready to tow it to a shop and everything. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by foyc27
This was the one that did it for me. I had the same thing happen. Oil light was on but no gauges and no radio. I tried what everyone said to do and finally this fuse was the one that was the problem. Started right up. I was all ready to tow it to a shop and everything. Thanks for your help.
Number 8, 20 amp fuse under the hood.

Quick Reply: 02 Sebring won't start (no power)