Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

06 transmission shift issue/braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Default 06 transmission shift issue/braking issue

Hey guys, I first joined this place when we first got the Sebrings back in 06 but have yet to post again so anyways. howdy. Right now I am having the first issue which kind of go together. I'll start with the transmission. When you begin to accelerate and the trans begins to shift from 1st to 2nd the role car shakes a little and the RPMs shake with it and then it shifts and its fine. It does it ALL the time. I've checked the fluid and its all good. Its even red still (has 66k on it). What could it be? I'm half tempted to take it into the dealership and have them diagnose it since its still under the Certified 8/80 powertrain warranty but I don't want them to diagnose it and then find out the issue isn't even covered so we waste like 90 bucks or whatever.

The 2nd issue is when braking. When braking the front driver side wheel feels like its wheel hopping. The whole car shakes and I can feel the pedal move in and out. But its only the driver side. I think the rotors are just warped but then I also wonder if it could be like the control arm bushings or the ball joints or something. Any ideas? I think just the rotors but I want to make sure.

Thanks.

Oh its a 2.4L and I LOVE IT.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Brake problem first: It's probably the rotors. Getting to be time to replace pads anyway, so go ahead and replace the pads and rotors. While you have it apart, take a hard look at the tie rod ends. If they are at all loose, replace them.

The trans fluid is also getting due for replacement. If that doesn't cure the problem, take it in to the dealer under warranty. If the dealer comes up with a diagnosis and claims it's not covered, at least you have a diagnosis which, regarding a transmission, is worth something. You can then decide whether you want to have the dealer fix it, in which case he should fold the diagnosis charge into the repair, or take it elsewhere or do it yourself.