Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1995 Timing Mark question - V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Default 1995 Timing Mark question - V6

Hello all, new member with some cam belt timing questions. Had a bad leak in my water pump, so I dove in to replace it. Rotated crank around until crank mark was @ 2 o'clock and both marks on cams were @ 12 o'clock high and began disassembly.

In the process of installing the new belt, a co-worker of mine, who is quite the Mitsubishi gear head, remarked that both of my dowel pins on the cams had to be @ the same position. They are not. Front cam dowel is @ 11 o'clock, rear cam dowel @ 5 o'clock. He says this is way wrong, except neither cam has done a full revolution since disassembly other than noted below. . I did have the rear cam slip off of 12 o'clock high and stop @ the 2 o'clock position. I pulled the distributor cap and the rotor is @ 12 o'clock, which indicates to me Im 180 out? Question, do the dowel pins on Chrysler V-6 have to be @ the same position of not or is that just a Mits thing?

Im so confused right now. I cannot see how the rear cam could have rotated that much without stopping @ a valve. With everything installed, including belt, and marks aligned, dowel pins are not aligned, I rotated the engine over 1 complete rotation with no binding or stoppage.

Thoughts?

and Thanx in advance.

Robert

Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 PM

*Bump*

wow, the crickets chirping in here is unbelievable.....

So, no takers, huh?

Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 PM
THK

There are several videos on You Tube on installing the timing belt on a Mitsubishi 3.0. You might want to take a look before proceeding further.

The pins on the cam to cam gear are not the reference points, the timing marks on the rearward side of the timing cover and the notch in the timing gears have to line up. Don't forget to make sure you crank gear is lined up also.

Also Google images for 3.0 Mitsubishi Timing marks....Will show you how they line up also.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
THK

[IMG]2011-09-23_113346_xls.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by THK
There are several videos on You Tube on installing the timing belt on a Mitsubishi 3.0. You might want to take a look before proceeding further.

The pins on the cam to cam gear are not the reference points, the timing marks on the rearward side of the timing cover and the notch in the timing gears have to line up. Don't forget to make sure you crank gear is lined up also.

Also Google images for 3.0 Mitsubishi Timing marks....Will show you how they line up also.
Thank you for responding .. Been there done that, & they cannot answer the question about the dowel pins being aligned either. They seriously did not know, & as you have said, every picture I have seen of an aligned up 2.5 the dowel pins are in the same position. I have also verified that she was 180 out as the distributor rotor was @ 12 o'clock..

It is pretty much clear to me now that my rear CAM slipped 90 degrees forward, @ some point, while I was aligning the crank.

I just thought I would throw the question out here as well. I was looking for confirmation of my Friends assertion.

again..

Thank you for responding.