Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1997 Sebring Convertible transmission computer

Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Default 1997 Sebring Convertible transmission computer

So the computer (it sounds like) makes static like sounds whenever the car changes gear (first to forth and reverse). I was assuming that it was coming from the computer that's connected to the transmission, or the black box that the sound is coming from that's on the transmission. I was told that some cars have the computer specially calibrated while put on the transmission and if i where to remove it to clean the connections to try to stop the sound, i would need to have it professionally put back on. Is this true, or could I just take it off, clean it, and then put it back on? Thanks!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 PM

Are you saying that you are getting static-like noise through the radio speakers when the car changes gear? If not, where is this "static-like" noise coming from?

In either case I doubt very much that fooling around with the transmission computer is going to help. Possibly, just possibly, replacing the solenoid pack might help. The problem might also be with the radio ground and/or antenna.

If you decide you still want to pull the trans computer, you will probably find that the shifts are a little bit rougher at first when you put it back in, but they will eventually smooth out as the computer re-learns the necessary parameters.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

is the noise sound like a ratcheting sound and does it when u change from park to r to drive? and when u slow down back to 1st?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 AM

It has nothing to do with the radio, it's coming from the tranny, from under the hood/car where the tranny is. I've traced the sound to the box attached to the tranny, guessing it's the computer.

CHRYSLER TECH, it is a ratcheting sound, everything you explained is what happens.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

its normal U have an electronic transmission its the solenoids changing the gears.
any 41TE will have it like in the mini vans will make same sound.

When u go from P to R or R to d it will do that also slowing down from 4 to 1

Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 AM

So the noise is normal? It is pretty loud, any way to quiet it down at least? Must have been kind of hard selling a car back then when the car would make that sound all the time.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM

This is the problem with trying to diagnose a strange sound over the internet. Everybody has a different description for a sound and everybody else has a different interpretation of what the description means. No, it's not normal for the transmission computer or the transmission itself to make static-like or ratcheting noises when shifting. You are absolutely correct that nobody would buy a car that makes noises like that. Something is wrong.
How do you know that the sound is coming from the transmission computer? Have you stuck your head into the engine compartment while driving? Have you lifted the car up on a hoist and run it through the gears? Do you know what the transmission computer looks like and exactly where it is? What exactly is a "static-like" noise anyway?
Have you checked the fluid level and quality? When was the last time anybody changed the transmission fluid? Have you hooked the car up to a scanner capable of reading transmission codes to see if there are any error messages in there? Has any one run a pressure test to see if the hydraulics are operating properly?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

They have sold over 1mill or more mini vans with that trans so I would say no not and issue with the noise turn the radio up if U dont like it.

drive the same style on a used car lot u will hear it.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM

I had a friend find the noise while i sat in the car changing gears. My friend is very car orientated. He followed the noise down to the transmission and he says he thinks it's the computer (we had the hood up during all of this). I'm not sure when the transmission fluid had been changed, but i had already checked and it seemed fine. How would one run a pressure test for the hydraulics on the transmission? We have used a scanner before but it hasn't given us any codes for the transmission. I will upload a video of the sound shortly.

CHRYSLER TECH: If there really is no problem, then this is a very horrid design flaw. The sound makes you think something is happening that's breaking the transmission or tearing it apart.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

ahh have u ever hears a computer make nose? no moving parts. and oh BTW the computer is on the other side on the pass side on the fender not near the transmission so your car guy is unless.
Why don't u take it to a trans shop and pay them if U are so worried about it and have some one that can hear this noise listen to it because going around and around on a web forum about something that U are the only one privie to heard is kinda dumb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Sebring Convertible transmission computer