Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1997 Sebring Won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Default 1997 Sebring Won't turn off

I'm new here and have a question.

I just finished doing an oil change, replaced an upper intake gasket, and replaced spark plugs and wires.

Now when I put the key in to the ignition all the lights inside the car come on like I'm getting ready to start it. The car will start fine, but it will not turn off. I checked everything and can't seem to think of anything. I resorted to pulling the negative battery cable off and nothing happened. I then pulled the positive cable and it finally died.

Once I put the positive back on and then touched the ground to the negative termainal the car made a wierd buzzing sound like something was drawing power.

What is going on? I've got to get this car fixed.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
jdl
Default RE: 1997 Sebring Won't turn off

I don't know what size engine you have, but, I'd start testing at the ASD relay.

With the key turned off, is there any ref voltage to the rotational sensors?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:37 PM

it's a 2.5L. Could you tell me what the ASD relay is please?

thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
moe

AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN RELAY
The Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay supplies battery voltage to the fuel injectors, generator field, electronic ignition coil and the heating elements in the oxygen sensors.
Refer to Wiring Diagrams for circuit information.
The PCM controls the ASD relay by switching the ground path for the solenoid side of the relay on and off. The PCM turns the ground path off when the ignition switch is in the Off position unless the O2 Heater Monitor test is being run. Refer to On-Board Diagnostics. When the ignition switch is in On or Start, the PCM momentarily turns on the ASD relay. While the relay is on the PCM monitors the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor signals to determine engine speed and ignition timing (coil dwell) If the PCM does not receive crankshaft and camshaft position sensor signals when the ignition switch is in the Run position, it will de-energize the ASD relay.
The ASD relay is located in the PDC Power Distribution Center (PDC) The inside top of the PDC cover has a label showing relay and fuse identification.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
moe

pdc looks like this

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Hello Jugsreturn and Moe.

I own a 1997 sebring and my sebring did the EXACT same thing. The problem swapped for me and now it wont start and there was no reason for that. However, the ASD relay is actually in a separate relay box along with the starter relay just underneath the big tube going into the air filter. try looking behind the battery positive nut, it should be very easy to find.

The best way to get to it is to remove the air filter and bend up the tube as much as possible and prying off the black cover.

though this thread seems old, maybe you figured all this out already.

Last edited by 1997sebring; 03-21-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Default 2000 Sebring Conv. 2.5L

I'm having similar problem to those writing in. When my 2000 Sebring has been warmed up it will continue to run even after the ignition key has been turned off and is removed. I have found the ASD relay and checked the ground from the ECU to the relay, (which is grounding the relay coil to make it function) when the car runs and it is STILL grounding when I turn the car off. The ECU is brand new and the same problem is occurring. The engine shakes and shudders a bit while the key is off and assorted warning lights come on the dash and finally, maybe a minute or more, the engine will finally die.
I'm thinking the ECU may be seeing some inputs that prompt it to keep the engine on ?? Not sure, nor do I know what would be the next things to check.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:13 PM
Default Did you ever figure out what was going on with it?

Originally Posted by Proof67
I'm having similar problem to those writing in. When my 2000 Sebring has been warmed up it will continue to run even after the ignition key has been turned off and is removed. I have found the ASD relay and checked the ground from the ECU to the relay, (which is grounding the relay coil to make it function) when the car runs and it is STILL grounding when I turn the car off. The ECU is brand new and the same problem is occurring. The engine shakes and shudders a bit while the key is off and assorted warning lights come on the dash and finally, maybe a minute or more, the engine will finally die.
I'm thinking the ECU may be seeing some inputs that prompt it to keep the engine on ?? Not sure, nor do I know what would be the next things to check.
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it