Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1999 Chrysler Sebring Convertible turns over but doesnt start

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Default 1999 Chrysler Sebring Convertible turns over but doesnt start

I was backing out of my driveway, car was running normally, then it shut down. Now it just turns-over but doesnt start. A friend helped to check a few things and is here now working on it, but not making any progress. This is what we have so far. Check engine light is not on, battery is about 4 months old and connections are good and clean. He used an OBD scanner, but it says everything passed. Fuel pump turns On for a couple seconds when key is turned. Fuel pressure checks-out to be around 50 lbs. He tried using starting fluid --Nothing! Took two spark plug wires off and turned engine over --No Spark at all. He says the timing belt looks very good. Last but not least, pulled the negative battery cable and the (PCM) Fuse for three minutes to reset the computer. Still nothing!
Is there anything that Anyone can think of that we should check next?? Frustrated!!!

The engine is a 2.5 lt. V6. Car has about 144K miles.

Last edited by LisaG; 08-25-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: List engine size
Old 08-25-2009, 03:52 PM

ASD relay.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 PM

Is that relay (Auto Shutdown Relay) located in the fuse/relay box next to the computer? We did switch a relay in that box with an adjacent relay (same part number). We think it's the ASD Relay we swapped, still doesn't start. Can you just verify the location of the ASD Relay, and what in the circuit will cause it not to pull-in? Thank You for your help so far!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Does anyone know where the ASD Relay (Auto Shutdown Relay) is located on a 1999 Sebring Convertible with a 2.5L V6? It's not in the relay/fuse box in the engine compartment as indicated in the Auto Repair Manual.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Default I think its contagious...

My 97 sebring seems 2b developing this problem...
on IT, the ASD relay is (supposedly) the middle of 3 on the firewall on the driver side outboard of the brake fluid resevoir...

Mine died on the way to work and I had to push it into a parking spot of a restaurant and walk home for the motorcycle... which isnt happy either!

Im CERTAIN it will start in the AM when I go home... so I'll get a new relay and hope that will make it happy...

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:27 AM

Alleluia!!! Did a little more research. If the ASD Relay was bad, (wherever that's located on a 1999 Sebring Convertible) the fuel pump would never turn on. I can hear the fuel pump come on for about 2seconds when I turn the key, AND I have about 50 lbs of fuel pressure. So the circuit relating to the ASD is fine. I was Not getting a spark and the car Does Not have an external coil pack. The coil is actually located within the distributor, which is Also where the Cam Position Sensor is located. So we replaced the Distributor. Since the car has over 140k miles on it, we also replaced the Distributor Cap and Rotor, the Spark Plug Wires, and Spark Plugs, since we had the Intake Manifold removed and had access to the rear three plugs.
Engine started right up, after we got past the air pocket in the Fuel Rail! Engine runs just fine now!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM

what did you do while you had the intake off mine is doing same thing, I switched out the asd I went to junk yard and replaced the crankshaft position sensor still no spark

Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Default 1998 sebring wont start no spark but hear fuel pump

I just died one night we had to push it home. but for more than a year it has done this 4 time before, but started back up either right way or an hour later but not this time. I have tested the volts to the crankshaft position sensor and they are correct, checked the 6 pin on the dist, and pin 2 is at 8 volts, but pin 6 has nothing by my meter, I changed the crankshaft position sensor with one from a junk yard, I switched around the asd relay, still no spark, can any one help,

Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 PM

The usual problem with that engine and no spark is the distributor. People have also reported problems with aftermarket distributors.
Make sure the timing belt is not broken.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Thumbs up ignition coil - cranks but no start

I have found the problem to be the ignition coil which resides inside the distributor. They say it is a non serviceable part but that is incorrect. You can purchase from any major parts store. Prices range from $35 (Pep boys online) to $135 (NAPA brick and mortar). Here is a pic: https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts...99_primary.jpg

I have gone through this 3 times now on my 99 jxi - believe me I know the frustration. Remember there are only 2 conditions which will cause the ASD: improper camshaft signal to the PCM OR improper crankshaft signal to the PCM. One of those is inside the distributor - but that isn't the problem. The coil is the actual problem. You can check primary coil resistance on the 2 pin connector - it should be between .6 - .8 ohm. Also check the secondary coil resistance by checking the resistance between the high voltage terminal and connector terminal 11 of the 2 pin connector. Value should be 12 - 18 k Ohm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Chrysler Sebring Convertible turns over but doesnt start