Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.7 DOHC Alum Oil Cooker Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Default 2.7 DOHC Alum Oil Cooker Engine Question

Just discovered widow friend has Sebring with this poor reputation engine, about 70K or so...
Understand from other sites problem was oil circulation holes in alum block insufficient size, tended to cook oil, sludge up, self destruct...
Also understand problem corrected mid production run...
Can anyone advise if there's an engine number when correction made or year ??
I'm sure this's been commented many times here; my apologies for not knowing how/where to obtain info via search...
Many thxx!! Bud T.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:01 AM

I have never heard of such a thing in a Sebring, but there are aftermarket devices which you might be able to adapt for the job. You might have some luck by doing a google search. Let us know if you come up with something.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:36 PM

I've never found anything from Chrysler that says when the oiling problem on the 2.7's was fixed. I know it was a problem with the 2001 model year. Whether it was fixed in 2002 is anybody's guess. The sludge issue is different. That is caused by the water pump leaking internally. That can happen to any year 2.7. The oiling problem will cause premature engine failure because of oil starvation. I had a 2001 Sebring that didn't have any sludge problems but had a ton of metal shavings in the oil pan.

John

Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 PM

My apologies for getting sidetracked off this...
The net is full of 2.7L horror stories...enginebuidermag.com, under rebuilding Chrysler 2.7L, has a nice paragraph on the various speculations as to causes of sludging/rods out (never mains) premature failure...Besides the baked oil theory, there's an internal water pump that leaks directly into the oil, as John mentioned above, and questions about the PCV system...
One comment was that a heater was added to the PCV system in 2002 to solve/alleviate? that source.
So far I've found nothing definitive...engines seem to go out as early as 20K, with most concentrated in 50-70K per one source...
Various class action suits (premature engine failure) vs DaimlerChrysler were consolidated in the US Dist Court New Jersey, Docket MDL 2006, but I've been unable to find outcome (apparently not ongoing per Courts website)..that's unusual, settlement should be all over the net, or, at least (if sealed) the fact that the action was settled/dismissed...
Many thxx to all who read/replied...