Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.7 interchange

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Default 2.7 interchange

Hi, I'm new to your forum. I've read here that 2.7 interchange of years is a problem with out changing flywheels and assorted other components. My problems is I picked up this 2004 sebring with no engine in it. Does anyone know what years will interchange complete? I can get a 2005 2.7 today, but will it work? Thanks, Charlie

Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM

The fastest way of telling...Count the plugs on PCM..

2 plugs means it is an SBEC, 4 plugs means it is an NGC....

If the plugs match from your car to the donor car...Your set....

2005 is definitely an NGC...2004 could go either way.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Default 2.7 interchange

I seem to have the SBEC system in my car. I do have the original harness. I've been looking at parts lists and I see the cam sensor is the same between years, but the crank sensor changes. Does this mean the flexplate is different on the NGC engine or could I swap the sensor and harness and use the 05 engine? I appreciate your help,
Charlie

Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 AM

If you look back a few threads, there is a guy who JUST did this.....But he had a motor to work with....

The flywheels are different, The wiring is different....The CAMSHAFT tone rings are different.

Now the problem...without an original piece to work with, All of those parts must be obtained....with nothing to base their validity on but the word of the yardman at the Boneyard...... Which is a gamble at best.... And consider the added cost of replacing all of this stuff....You might get a great deal on this motor, but pay twice the amount on making it work....Just think before you leap.....

Old 04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Default 2.7 interchange

Well, this brings up the obvious question. Does the engine need to come out of a 2004 only? I'm definately seeing why the car came cheap. Again, appreciate your help. Charlie

Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Ideally, 2004 with SBEC..... Like I mentioned earlier, 2004 could go either way. As long as it is from a sebring....a 2.7 2003 and earlier should work, but these motors ae notoriously JUNK, so the older you go, the more wear and tear that is likely to be present.

It is do-able at the expense of "Blood sweat, and Tears"....But you have to make the decision on what it is worth to you, and how much of a commitment youre willing to make.

Since you posted your question, It means you already know that this is a bit involved...and that is good....But for gods sake ..DONT let anyone Talk you into something with the notion that a PCM reprogram will straighten it out......AINT GONNA HAPPEN...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Default 2.7 interchange

I guess this one goes out to the side of the garage until good fortune smiles on me. I have read a number of others attempting to swap and I can see its more than I first bargained for. Oh for the days when adding electronic ignition was a matter of splicing in a few wires into the old harness......Thanks for your help, Charlie

Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Default 2.7 interchange

I just finished swapping an engine from a 2004 into a 2003 and had to change the wiring harness,injectors,flywheel,cam ring,crank sensor,cam sensor. it was a real pain so save yourself a lot of headache and work by finding an engine from the same year as the car. 2004 and 2005 five will be the same headache

Old 09-10-2016, 11:20 PM

This is a super old thread I know. But is 2003 sebring 2.7 interchangeable with a 2.7 from a concorde or 300? Can I only use a 2.7 from a Sebring?

Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 AM

03/04 Sebring engine should be comparable as noted in previous posts.
300M's all have 3.5 (US) 2.7 Euro versions only.
Concord (and and other LH) won't work as engines are longitudinal rather than transverse as in the Sebring. Different mountings and drilling in blocks and covers.

Quick Reply: 2.7 interchange