Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.7L Waterpump torque & chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Default 2.7L Waterpump torque & chain tensioner

What is the proper torque for the water pump bolts for the 2.7L engine? The Haynes manual calls for 17ft Lbs. This seems to be a bit excessive to me for the size of the bolt. I just want to err on the side of caution before I crank down on the bolts.

Also,

I am replacing the chain tensioner with a new one. Do I need to do anything special to it for the reset, and does it need to be primed before installation?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM

It's 105 Inch Lbs

The way to do the tensioner

Take slack out of chain clockwise. Install the tensioner, collapse it all the way then let it release out on it's own. The oil pressure will force it the rest of the way out and lock it. DO NOT rev the engine when you first start it.

I would advise you to replace the main chain and guides too while you're in there.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM

105 in-lbs, per the Chrysler shop manual. That's about 9 ft-lbs.

You need to reset and purge an old tensioner you are re-installing. A brand new one should be good to go. Expect some noise from the engine for a few seconds on start-up until it fills with oil and starts to actually tension the chain.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Default still unclear on the tensioner

Thanks for the help. I am changing the timing components along with the water pump.

I am still a bit unclear on the tensioner. I understand resetting of the tensioner, but unclear about priming it with oil.

I have seen on some sites where they say prime it with oil first to avoid having an air bubble trapped inside the tensioner. I have not found an explanation on how to do this.

Is this required and if it is, how do I do it?

Thank you

Jim

Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Na just make sure it's extended. The oil pump will do the rest. It sort of acts like a valve lifter. It usually takes about 10 seconds for it to fill it up. DON"T REV IT UP for a little while just let it run.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-17-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM

It's been a few years since the last reply to this post but I wanted to ask for a bit of clarification on the priming of the tensioner as well. I have a 2001 Sebring 2.7L and I'm getting ready to replace the timing chains, guides, tensioners, water pump and oil pump. I will be installing a new timing chian tensioner and the paper that came with it said that it must be primed prior to installation. I understand that the tensioner has to be released after installation, but as with most other shade tree mechanics I'm worried about jumping timing when I first start it up. I'm nervous about simply starting the engine and letting the oil pump do the work, in previous replies we are warned not to rev the engine up for the first few seconds, but what about when the engine first starts and the RPM's rev fairly high before settling back down?

I read in another forum that the engine can be primed by removing the sparkplugs and cranking the engine over several times to let the oil pump circulate oil throughout the system. Does this make sense?

Thank you for your time!

Dave

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

the tensioners are spring loaded then oil will finish the job once installed and ready to go U pop the tensioner to spring out to keep chain some what tight until oil pressure is avail.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Thanks for your reply Chrysler Tech!

I have been chasing around a "tick" for quite a while now. I had all kinds of pops, clunks and ticks. I've changed out all four torn motor mounts, front shocks and all the bushings/isolators, the top and bottom control arms and all 24 lash adjusters. All the clunks and pops are gone but I still have the engine ticking. I thought I had a bad lash adjuster but the ticking is still there. I'm really hoping the timing chain, oil pump and water pump replacement will solve the rest of the ticking. I know the oil pump is wearing out because I've had the oil pressure tested so I'm thinking that it's not pushing the tensioner out with enough force at idle since the ticking goes away under higher RPM's.

Thanks again!

Dave

Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Is it common for these tensioners to wear out/ fail?
My 2.7 has developed the noise for the first few seconds after start up and I noticed it seems to get a faint noise that sounds like timing chain if i sit and idle for a few minutes. Once I bring the rpm's up a touch or while driving its quiet. I did notice it has a slightly noticeable miss at idle while its making the noise.
Should I be looking into an oil pump or just timing set?
A little added info on the car is that it has 250k km's (not miles) and is over due for an oil change more due to being parked for awhile than due to milage.
Is it possible that an oil change and maybe some Lucas additive is all it needs?
I just bought the car and it sounded great for the first week, then the initial start up noise began. Now a couple weeks in the noise/miss at idle is starting.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM

It would certainly make sense to spend $20 on an oil change first rather than several hundred on replacing the timing chain on a vehicle with a quarter million kilometers on it. They have changed the design of the timing chain so that if you want to replace it, you'll be changing the oil and water pump too along with the tensioner etc.
Think long and hard about whether you want to pour that kind of money into the car. As for the miss, spark plugs should be the starting point.
Fundamental rule of car repair: When in doubt, replace the cheapest thing first.

Quick Reply: 2.7L Waterpump torque & chain tensioner