Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 Sebring Conv won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Default 2000 Sebring Conv won't start

Hope someone can help. I have a 2000 JXI Convertible, did a major tune up. Ran fine for a few days, then my daughter said it would die on her at stop signs. ODB error code p0301 multiple misfire. Replaced CPS. Wouldn't start, no spark. Reinstalled old CPS. Still wont start. Returned CPS, and purchased dealer CPS, still no start, no spark. Replaced distributor, started ran for about 5 minutes, then died as if the key was shut off. No spark. Exchange distributor, no start/spark. Checked and replaced the ASD. I have checked timing belt, distributor clocked correctly to # 1 cyl., spark plug wires installed correctly, fuel pressure, filter replaced. I have checked spark from coil, good, this is difficult to do when I don't get fire to the plugs, because you have to remove the plenum to get to the distributor. Put it all back together, no start. The plugs are sooty, and sometimes wet with fuel. Is there a wiring diagram anywhere that shows pin outs for the distributor and PCM with voltages. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Basically at a loss. There are no error codes at all now either.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Many people on the forum here have reported problems with aftermarket distributors. The Haynes manual has a pinout diagram for the distributor.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, Section 5-9, say the coil on these models is not serviceable. Install a new or rebuilt distributor. Which is fine. What I'm looking for is what the voltages to each wire are supposed to be. How to test?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Default I fixed it

After many attempts at trying to finger out whats was wrong with this piece of yard art. Three rebuilt distributors from AutoZone, thankfully on warantee, I went back to basics and checked everything. #1 plug is on the passengerside of the engine bay, closest to the firewall. you have to remove the plenum to get to it. Made sure it was at TDC, made sure timing marks lined up. Made sure Distributor was stabbed correctly, on a Chevy you can only drop it in 180 degrees off, on a Ford you can drop it in anywhere on the octagon oil pump shaft. This is my one and only Chrysler/Mitsubishi, the distributor can drop in anywhere on the camshaft, there is enough play to force the distributor in and not damage anything, well I didn't find any damage. I was placing it onto the mount and eye balling where the shaft lined up, and tightening the nuts to get it to seat, wrong - the distribbutor should slide in up to the Oring. The #1 cap tower is almost at 6 o'clock, so the rotor should be pointing almost straight down. Then manually rock the rotor clockwise counter clockwise, and you'll feel the dist tabs locate home on the cam shaft, and with a little effort, the distributer should go all the way home. Ran the spark plug wires, one at a time, what a pain getting them on the cap. Bolted it all together, and it fired right up. I hope this helps anyone with the same issues. If it's backfiring or not getting spark, go back to basics and recheck the distributor. I came close to throwing my hands in the air and sending it to the junk yard.