Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 Sebring Convert won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Default 2000 Sebring Convert won't start

Got a 2000 Sebring Convert with the 2.5 V6 and it won't start. I replaced the Plugs, wire, cap button and the ignition coil. Nothing. When I changed the plugs there was oil in the plug hole, not sure if that would matter. I know I'm getting gas cause I can smell it and everyonce in a great while it will kick over just a little, but not enought to start.

Can anyone help me out.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Default RE: 2000 Sebring Convert won't start

Have you checked for codes? That's always the best place to start. Buy or borrow (Autozone) an OBD code reader and see if anything comes up.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM

also another basic check is for spark. you never said if it was present, maybe a bad crank position sensor I have had one go bad but it had intermittent problemsor???

Some Oil in the plug holes is Ok , the seals are inside the valve covers and are replacable. if and when you replace(d) the rear plugs that would be the time to put in new seals in the valve cover. The valve cover gaskets are re-usable. At leat i could ont two different 2.5 v-6 engines

Did you replace the 3 rear plugs as well ?
did you cross any wires when you re-installed them

Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Johno,

I did do all the plugs, Yeah, it was fun. As for the wires, I have them in the right order or at least the order I took them off, Plus I checked and recheck them. so that isn't it. I was thinking the crank sensor also, I guess I could change that, it wouldn't hurt, One big problem??? Where is it located?? And how hard is it to get to? All the other stuff was a bear, but I made it , just wish it wasn't 30 degrees today.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:49 PM

To get to the crank sensor on the 2.5, remove the cruise control actuator, and the sensor is near the bell housing of the transaxle. Have youchecked for good fuel pressure? Smell doesn't mean much. Camshaft sensor is another possibility.
Rather than randomly replacing components, you'd be better off to check for codes and fixing what is actually wrong. In this day and age, repair-by-guess is wasteful and unnecessary. You've probably wasted enough money already to pay for a code reader.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 PM

dcotter0579

I'm starting to think you are 100% right. Just did the Crank sensor, and guess what?!?! NO START! I'm about ready to set fire to this piece.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 AM

"I'm about ready to set fire to this piece."

HEY!! None of that. Stick with it. When you finally get it running again you'll feel great. Think about cruising down by the lake on a warm summer's day with the top down....

Meanwhile, head over to your local Autozone and see if they will loan you an OBD scanner. If not, break down and buy one. You can find them on eBay for less money than the dealer charges for slapping theirs on your car one time.

Have you ruled out a broken timing belt?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 AM

not positive, but I had the same issue with my chevy blazer, turned out the fuel pump still worked, just didnt give out enough pressure.
test the pressure in the fuel system. I replaced the pump and was good to go. good luck

Old 11-25-2008, 01:34 AM

Just picked up a basic code reader for $40 at Harbor Freight. Took the internet ad in and they price-matched at the store. Best investment you can make for the home mechanic. Worth every penny.

If you have spark, then 2 other items come immediately to mind. First, the Automatic Shutdown Relay. Second is fuel, even though you can smell it sometimes. Check the fuel pressure and inspect the ASD relay, especially at the connector.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Default RE: 2000 Sebring Convert won'

ORIGINAL: dcotter0579

"I'm about ready to set fire to this piece."

HEY!! None of that. Stick with it. When you finally get it running again you'll feel great. Think about cruising down by the lake on a warm summer's day with the top down....

Meanwhile, head over to your local Autozone and see if they will loan you an OBD scanner. If not, break down and buy one. You can find them on eBay for less money than the dealer charges for slapping theirs on your car one time.

Have you ruled out a broken timing belt?

I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier with a chain driven camshaft. It had essentially the same symptoms that have been mentioned here, turned over freely and sometimes it would fire but not start. Turned out the chain had been ripped in two so the camshaft wasn't being moved at all. BTW, I thought the 2.5L V6 had a combination coil, distributor and camshaft sensor? And that you couldn't get a coil by itself?

Quick Reply: 2000 Sebring Convert won't start