Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 Sebring Transmission Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Default 2000 Sebring Transmission Woes

Greetings!!
New to the boards here and would like to get any and all opinions about a 2000 Sebring convertible. The car in question belongs to my brother in law and it is approx. 4 hours away from me. Now keep in mind that the bro in law is not in any shape or form mechanically inclined. He wants to sell us this car that has just clicked over 100k and has no reverse in the automatic transmission. From what I understand, it has all forward gears and is able to be driven around town and on the freeway, just no reverse. I have tried to search the forum and learned that this is something as simple as a solenoid to the transmission is smoked. Keeping in mind the brother in law and mechanical knowledge is slim, he said that he had a tie rod end replaced and then the no reverse situation. The price of the car is extremely low, so even if a replacement trans has to go in, I feel I will be ahead of the game and have a really cool convertible in the stable next to our Corvette!! I believe it has the V-6 engine, but do not know the displacement. I would be curious if it has any codes stored, but with it being the 4 hours away, I cannot tell yet. Anyone has a guess?? Or would I be better off passing on the one??

Thanks for being patient and in advance for all suggestions/comments,
Cessnaguy

Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 PM

It probably does have codes stored in the transmission computer but you'll need a good code reader to get to them. A transmission shop can perform electronic and hydraulic diagnostics and will have a much better opinion of what's going on inside there than anyone here can guess at. If the price is that good and you want the car, go for it. If it's the solenoid pack, it's an easy DIY replacement for less than a hundred bucks. If it's something more serious, well, you'll probably hire that done anyway and you are already factoring that contingency into the deal.

The 2000 might have either a 2.5L or 3.0L Mitsubishi engine. They are basically the same engine. You'll want to replace the timing belt probably. They are known to have distributor issues, but you can wait to cross that bridge when you come to it.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 PM

Feeling better already!! This car will not be a daily driver, just fun in the sun on a hot summer night. Yes the price of the car is almost a give away, so if a replacement transmission is needed I believe I will still come out to the good. If the car drives okay on the highway, I will probably take a gamble and try to drive it the 200 or so miles back to my home then tackle the repairs. I have a fair amount of wrenching experience and do most of my vehicle maintenance myself so I will try to take this on before I farm it out to someone. Everyone will probably see me back on here with the noob question of why the transmission wont come out or something to that matter!!

Stay tuned to this bat channel!!
Cessnaguy