Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Fuel pump '07 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Default Fuel pump '07 2.4

I need to replace the fuel pump in my car. It has gotten progressively worse, and I'm done waiting on it to restart after stalling. Does anyone have any tips, such as the hose connectors and how to release them? I have done a fuel pump prior on a Dodge Ram, but it was 5 years ago.

Also, I don't have an owner manual suddenly, and I need to know which relay is the fuel pump relay in order to release the fuel pressure.

Thanks!

Last edited by ryogden; 10-19-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Hi,
My daughter has a 2005 sebring with 2.4. I don't know if the layout is the same as yours on the main engine compartment fuse box. In her owner's manual it indicates #28 to be the fuel pump relay. Have you taken the cover off and looked on the inside of the cover? Number 28 in her fuse box is the 1st from the drivers side on the firewall side. There are four slots and the 4th from the drivers side is empty.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Well, I've found the issue, and it isn't pretty. The connector from the car that connects to the pump was fried. One pin is stuck in the connector, or actually burned into it. So, now I need a connector as well as a pump.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 PM

BTW, if you need to replace your pump, don't drop the tank. I did, THEN found the access panel under the back seat. That was a DOH! moment.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply beast39, I appreciate your input. I think the relay may end up being bad since the pump shorted out, but I'll just have to see after the new pump is in.

I ordered a wiring repair kit from the dealer, $48. If it's just some female connectors and some wire, I'm going to leave it there and buy the same items for less than $2 and do it myself. If it's the actual harness, I'll pay. Should work, you think?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM

You didn't say whether your car is a sedan or coupe. The coupe has an access panel under the rear seat, the sedan and conbertible do not, and on those models, you must drop the tank. Go to chrysler.com to get an owners manual. You may be able to download it for free.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 PM

I've run across a very few that have melted fuel pump/asd fuses in the PDC under the hood also. Look it over real good. If you had burned connectors, I would be suspicious of how many Amps the fuel pump is pulling. The relay itself isn't really a load. Keep an eye on that connector repair. Those repair kits are nice. The heat shrink they supply is DA BOMB, I love that stuff! Way better than the parts stores sell. Just use a flame to shrink it like a lighter, (I use a grill lighter) but be careful of the fuel tank! lol

Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 PM

Well, I can tell you I don't have a convertible. It's a four door model, and I did have an access panel. I had to do a similar repair on a Pontiac Aztek I had, there was a wiring harness in the middle of the car for the fuel pump where the wiring went inside the cabin from the bottom of the car. I just eliminated the harness, hard wired it with solder and shrink wrap. I used a heat gun. It smells like gas pretty bad in the garage right now already, good thing I quit smoking.

I wonder if the old pump is actually ok, and the wiring is the only problem.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

wires dont burn up unless there is a load that is excessive on that wire aka corrosion bad part or faulty connection.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 AM

I thought about that chryslertech. I don't know which wire does what in the connector. I was doing a lot of cranking trying to start the car the last few times it stalled. I imagine it would run now if I patched it all together again (I won't). I just wonder if all that cranking burned the wire. I'm going to pick up the repair kit today and the pump's supposed to be here Tuesday.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump '07 2.4