Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 Sebring Convertible - Oil Light, Battery Light, Idles rough, Check Engine

Old 09-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Default 2004 Sebring Convertible - Oil Light, Battery Light, Idles rough, Check Engine

Hi all,
My girlfriend's 2004 Sebring Convertible (69,000 miles just yesterday) has been giving us some trouble. Here's a basic timeline:

Sometime last year, the oil light would come on randomly when idling at a stop light, and sometimes 'pulse' with the engine. The RPMs seems unrelated, as at times the RPMs would be low and the light would not be on, and sometimes they would be higher and the light on. As usual, the light seems to go off when any gas is given.

The problem has gotten worse since then, sometimes at a light, the car will run rough, and feel like it's 'shivering', the oil light on during this time.

In the past 9 months or so, the engine has stalled 3 times during one of it's 'episodes'. The lastest being last week. It seems to stall soon after it's started (once it stalled when I was just sitting in the car checking my email quick and haven't moved yet)

Last week when it stalled (at a light, about 5 minutes from being started), we were driving home and the battery light came on while on the highway. The light did not come back on after turning the car off and back on. A couple days later, the engine light came on (unfortunately, I don't know what the code was), and the mechanic diagnosed an issue with the alternator.

In addition, I've been noticing the fuel level varying quite a bit, It was at 1/4 a tank, drove for about 5 minutes down the road, and the gas light came on at 1/8 a tank, and then went back up.

We've also had issues with electronics, our cellphones will sometimes flash and say "voltage too high, charging paused" while plugged in.

I understand that the oil light seems to be common. Is there one single problem here, or are there multiple problems? Does anybody have any further information? I've gathered lots of web resources on the problem for our mechanic, and wanted to know if anybody else had some information.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM

Sounds like you have multiple problems. The oil light could be a known problem with the sending unit. Replace that and see if the problem goes away. If not, then there may be more serious problems.
Voltage is controlled by the engine computer. Gauge readouts are controlled by the body computer. You may have a bad computer or possibly a wiring problem. No way to diagnose this over the internet. Get the car in to somebody with proper diagnostic equipment and the know-how to use it properly to find out what's going on.
When the car is flashing trouble lights at you it's trying to tell you something. Ignore it at peril to your wallet. Little problems have a way of becoming big ones if left to cure themselves.