Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2005 Sebring Wont charge battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Default 2005 Sebring Wont charge battery

Morning and Happy new year!

Have a question and wondering if anyone has any information to it. I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 convertible. Never had an issue till this. Few days back I noticed slower cranking to start the car. Just thought it was because of the cold. Then went to start the car and I just got a click. Luckily I was at home so I connected the battery charger and started the car. Couple days later the battery was dead again. Bought a new battery thinking something happened to it as it was three years old. With in three days the car killed the new battery and I had to charge it back up again.

I don't think its getting a charge. I am getting 14.4 volts as a read out when its started at the terminal post. I took a multi meter and hooked it up to the battery and ran the current through it and pulled every fuse thinking I had a grounded wire and something was pulling amps. Nothing. Car only pulls about .01 to .05 amps when off.

I then cleaned the battery terminal posts and the red post on the alternator itself. Took sand paper and used it as well on the posts too.

I don't really know what else it could be other than the PCM is bad or something is not telling it to charge the battery. Any help would be appreciated as I have to charge the battery manually every other day to keep it able to start up.
Please help!
Thanks so much.

Nick.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:17 AM

Certainly 14.4 volts at idle sounds like it's charging but it may be putting out far less under load and at high speed. My suggestion is to buy a cheap volt meter to run inside the car so you can see exactly what your alternator is putting out at all times.

John

Old 01-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

volts and amps are 2 different things. volts is pressure amps is current or amount of stuff being pushed. what is teh main issue you are having with the car to start with see if your evening going down the right path .

Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM

Hi there and thank you all for your replies. Well yesterday I just took the car off charge and drove to a store. Fully charged battery. Came out to start it and "click" each time...I was like what??? Fully charged? So I popped the hood and smacked the negative terminal with my palm out of frustration and it moved it a bit. Went to start the car and it started. I already cleaned the terminal post but still saw green on it but it was flat and not fuzzy.

Turns out It was the negative post after all. The flat green stuff acts like a glaze. I had to take a brass brush and put it on a drill and I literally ground it off. Did that to the terminals, bolts, and nuts. Hooked it up and starts up as expected again. Starts fast once again. My neighbor's son is going to college for mechanics. He mentioned how clean I keep the engine and asked what I do to it. So I told him and he said hes willing to bet its the left over chemicals from the cars body ( as I use wax and spray wax) getting onto the engine from me using the same damp towel to clean the engine after I dried the car off with it.

The same exact thing happened to me with my Eagle Talon TSi, Intermittent starting with just clicks. I took care of that car the same as I do to this one. Guess I will be using a new towel when I clean the engine out.
Thank you all again!