Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2009 Chrysler Sebring Transmission issue P0760, P0700

Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Default 2009 Chrysler Sebring Transmission issue P0760, P0700

Hi Guys, I purchased a 2009 Chrysler sebring from auction a few weeks back, it rolled up nice and shinny and I was super excited to win the bidding, a couple of days later I go over to pick it up having already paid for it, and it does not start.. needless to say it was sold as seen so I jump started it and went home, unfortunately this was not the issue, upon driving I realised the car is not changing gears... to cut a long story short I ended up looking at forums and found out the alternator was gone, I also found out that this could be the source of the transmission issue! happy days, replaced the alternator, charged the battery, and the car no longer has starting issues, it even changed through the gears and I thought that was the end of that, but after a few minutes of driving it went into limp mode again (the PRND flashed once when is does this), and the error codes I had were P0700 and P0760, I changed the trans solenoid as that's what it was pointing to, brand new solenoid fitted, and this time it goes into limp mode instantly, removed the solenoid and returned it, got another brand new solenoid fitted, and it worked, but again only for about 10 minutes and back into limp mode.

This is where I am now, once it goes into limp mode, 90% of the time when you turn it off and back on it goes into limp mode within 3 seconds, as if its timed, however if you turn it off then on and straight away cycle through the gears to D or 1 it will work for a few minutes and changes through the gears, it can work for up to 10/15 minutes and then go back into limp mode...

I just want to know if there is anything I'm missing, if it's a hopeless cause please let me know so I just forget about it and sell it as spares or repairs... please help! I BEG!!!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 PM

2009 makes the car at least 7 years old with unknown maintenance history. Chances are it has never had the transmission fluid changed. If you haven't done that, you probably should. If that doesn't solve the problem then you probably want to consider some professional help. A good transmission shop will have the ability to dig deeply into any fault codes in the transmission computer and also to hook up to the hydraulic system and see how that is functioning.

Anything can be fixed. It's a question of whether the cost and effort are justified by the final result.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:44 PM

I just had mine put in the shop because it would go into "limp mode" nonstop. they replaced my throttle body, haven't got her back yet however. could be something to look into