Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 Sebring Convertible JXI Auto Shutdown Relay Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Post 96 Sebring Convertible JXI Auto Shutdown Relay Fuse

Hello,
I have a 96 Sebring Convertible JXI 2.5L V6. Once my car has warmed up and I push down full throttle on the gas I blow my auto shutdown relay fuse (ASD). We have replaced the actual relay, the ignition coil inside the distributor, we have checked the computer for codes and nothing comes up, and we have checked the fuel injectors for open wires and we have not found anything. The car runs great. You can barely even tell its running. It starts up perfectly fine, and a complete tune up has been done(cap, rotor, wires, and spark plugs). Any suggestions as to what is wrong with my car?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

a wire that is powered by the asd relay is shorting out when u give it WOT get a wire diagram and start tracing all the items that the ASD provides power to or that fuse is on.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 PM

UPDATE: We have traced all of the wires and checked all of the ohs. Everything checked out perfectly fine. There are absolutely no problems with the wires.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM

UPDATE: We have unplugged the O2 sensor to make sure it wasn't that and it was still shutting down. We then replaced the fuel pump and the car is still shutting down. Taking it to the dealership today to see what they have to say.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:31 PM

UPDATE: We have also replaced the PCM. Nothing has changed.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ms.Scarlet
Hello,
Once my car has warmed up and I push down full throttle on the gas I blow my auto shutdown relay fuse
Is this while moving or sitting still? ONLY warm engine or any temp? Alternator can also cause your problems.

Last edited by TNtech; 04-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 AM

This is while moving. Sometimes I can pop the fuse while in the bay without moving but its rare. It also happens at any temp.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Is this while moving or sitting still? ONLY warm engine or any temp? Alternator can also cause your problems.
We checked the alternator. It is charging 100%.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ms.Scarlet
This is while moving. Sometimes I can pop the fuse while in the bay without moving but its rare. It also happens at any temp.
It sounds like a wire is shorting to ground when the engine is torqued (twisted). Try looking at places where the harness bends around something sharp or a corner. The charge rate of the alternator has no bearing on the matter. The ASD feeds the field coil and there could be a condition that pulls too much current when you ramp up the RPMs. You can unplug the 2 wire connector on it and go for a short drive OR it can be full fielded with the DRB 3.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM

UPDATE: Took the car to the dealership and they have no idea what is wrong. So much for them having all the right answers....

Quick Reply: 96 Sebring Convertible JXI Auto Shutdown Relay Fuse