Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

97 Sebring Fuel and spark no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Default 97 Sebring Fuel and spark no start

I can get the engine to crank i have fuel and spark but no start. I tried ether in the intake and it still wont hit. Occasionally it with hit or attemp to start and then just quit. Any ideas will be greatly appreiciated.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM

If you have fuel and spark it will start. You are missing one or the other or both. The place to start is with a reading of error codes stored in the computer. There's no point in guessing what could be wrong. Retreive the codes and come back.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM

No. I swear i have both fuel and spark i took the fuel line off. There was fuel i also took each spark plug and tested i have spark.just no start the only thing i had come up in the computer was high speed fan control relay. I used ether and still no start i can get it to hit ocassionally like it wants to but instantly and it still won't start.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM

How much fuel pressure do you have? Are the injectors clicking?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Default Got the same problem, HELP

I am having the exact same problem as TheFox302 so I hope someone has an answer. Have an 1998 Sebring JXI with a 2.5 V6 and it won’t run but has spark and fuel pressure is 20lb when the ignition is first turned on and goes to 49lb when the engine is cranked over, I don’t know if the injectors are clicking but when I remove the plugs to check the compression the plugs have fuel on them so I am guessing that the injectors are opening. Cylinder compression runs around 145-150lb and I have no error codes. As TheFox302 says the engine acts as if it wants to start but just won’t. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 AM

If as you say the car acts like it wants to start but just won't and you have good fuel pressure then try new spark plugs and if the plug wires look bad then replace those as well, also a bad dist cap & rotor could also be a problem.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheFox302
No. I swear i have both fuel and spark i took the fuel line off. There was fuel i also took each spark plug and tested i have spark.just no start the only thing i had come up in the computer was high speed fan control relay. I used ether and still no start i can get it to hit ocassionally like it wants to but instantly and it still won't start.
I had to LOL when I read this...
Just because you have fuel pressure does not mean your injectors are spraying fuel into the system... leaking perhaps, but not 'spraying'...

Since you claim to have 'spark' I will presume the crank sensor is working correctly...
Check underhood in the fuse block... I believe there is/are fuse(s) for the injectors there... see if one/both/? of it/them are fried...

Possibly also that 'ASD/whatever-its-called' relay on the firewall? Prevents start if the 'alarm went off'... would cause this if failed...

Hope some of this helps!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Default 1998 jxi convertable

ok got some ?'s that i hope can get some answers to.this happens mostly at night but when im driving im hearing a clicking sound from the dash area in the same area as wehere the fuse block is at..and while im hearing the clicking sound my dome lights are flickering on and off door locks are locking and unlocking and im hearing the door chime going on and off..also in the dash its going abck and forth between door and deck...why is this happening and what could eb the cause of it?...also my alt belt went up...and when i tried to get it home it didnt make it.well i fixed it as well as put a new alt belt on it as well as a new alt and power stearing belt...after getting it all together u go to start it back up and it will crank over and over again but not start running....why is it doing this?...

Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mike75
ok got some ?'s that i hope can get some answers to.this happens mostly at night but when im driving im hearing a clicking sound from the dash area in the same area as wehere the fuse block is at..and while im hearing the clicking sound my dome lights are flickering on and off door locks are locking and unlocking and im hearing the door chime going on and off..also in the dash its going abck and forth between door and deck...why is this happening and what could eb the cause of it?...also my alt belt went up...and when i tried to get it home it didnt make it.well i fixed it as well as put a new alt belt on it as well as a new alt and power stearing belt...after getting it all together u go to start it back up and it will crank over and over again but not start running....why is it doing this?...
Mike, there are a hundred reasons a car won't start. We can help you if you have some basic info like codes and such, but just a general "my car won't start" doesn't indicate anything in particular. If you can get some codes we can start there. If you have a meter, test light, things like that we can go even further. The first part of your problem sounds like a door ajar switch...maybe 2 of them.

Also, this is for everyone reading this. Please start a new thread for your own issues. Your posts can get buried and may get ignored if you post in an existing thread because people may just pass over it.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 AM

ok first off what in the heck is a asd relay?..whats the purpose of it?...also can a clogged fuel filter cause an engine to crank over and over again and keep it from running?

Quick Reply: 97 Sebring Fuel and spark no start