Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

AC sometimes blows through defroster vent

Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Default AC sometimes blows through defroster vent

Hi All,

Looking for some advice again on my 2002 2.7 liter 4 door LXi.

When using the A/C on the Recirc mode it will sometimes redirect the airflow to the defroster vents. It will sometimes cycle back to the vents. Since it is summertime and very hot I really do not want to spend a lot of time under the dash guessing what it could be. Any advice on what I could specifically look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks You

Jim

Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM

Most probably, it's the control head. It's an easy job to remove it. Pull straight out on the bottom of the trim piece that surrounds it using your fingers. Then with a plastic trim tool or a wooden paint stirrer, pry the rest of the trim piece from the dash. It's held by six clips. The control head comes with it. Disconnect the cables in back. You can try a junkyard replacement, but the best solution is a new one from a dealer or online. Shop around.

The reason air comes out the defroster is because the system is actually controlled by the body computer, and if it gets bad signals from the control head, it will revert to defrost as a "fail safe" mode.

The same part was used on Dodge Stratus sedans and Sebrings sedans and convertibles from 2001 through 2006. Chrysler and Dodge dealerships can still get them. Online dealers have the best prices on new ones. There are lots of used ones floating around.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Two thumbs up for the forum.

It was the control head, I opted for the cheapest and simplest method and removed the control head. I then removed the circuit board by taking the three screws out of the back. I re-flowed the solder joints on the 8 pin connector even though they looked good. I re-installed the unit and it has worked perfect since. It also appears to have fixed a nagging problem of the compressor not always engaging.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. I otherwise would have been tearing the dash apart trying to figure the problem out. This forum has saved me countless hours of aggravation.

Jim