Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Alternator and Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Default Alternator and Battery problem

Is it possible that alternator on 1996 jxi will not charge if the battery is going bad? On my ford pickup I could disconnect a battery and it would run, on this one it stops running. Any one?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 PM

Well, I'm limited in my knowledge here. But let me take a shot.

I assume the alternator/battery setup for all vehicles is the same, the battery provides power for all of the electrical components and the alternator keeps the battery at a continuous charge.

So, I would start simple and check the battery;

I had an old Pontiac firefly that the alternator bearing seized, pulley wouldn't turn and just smoked the belt.

But that car sat all winter and still had enough juice to start the car and run it normally, except that excessively loud screeching from the belt squealing on the pulley, anyways....

Test the battery, see what it reads, and then I would suggest taking two routes, change out the battery and see whats up, and then if that doesn't solve it, change out the alternator, just remember to disconnect the positive terminal on the battery before ya touch the alternator.

Change the alternator our first or the battery, but batteries are replaced more than alternators, so... change the battery first is what I would do, just check your connections n whatnot

Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 PM

I think that if you don't have any voltage or power it's due to either the alternator or battery failing, the alternator doesn't quit because the battery is bad, at least that's what I understand

Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

an instant disconnect from a car running it will usually die because the voltage is passing through the battery to the other items so that test is irrelevant.