Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Convertible top adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Default Convertible top adjustment

2001 Convertible

Two issues;

1) At high speeds, especially when cold, air whistles through the front of the top. Pulling down on the handhold stops it. How can I get rid of the wind? The clips are screwed in as tight as I can make them. Is there some other adjustment I can make? Do I need to get new weatherstripping for the front? Can I just open the top, put down some foam tape, and close the top for now?

2) My dealer replaced the weatherstripping on the passenger side of the top. Interesting thing for him to do when I needed the weatherstripping on the DOOR replaced. Aside from having the stripping stick out the side because the mechanic didn't even know how to place it in the groove, some of the underneath of the canvas from the top (near where the window meets the quarter window) is folded under and showing (shoving it back does not last). After feeling around, it appears that there is a cable that runs the length of the canvas that is no longer lined up correctly there. Any idea how to fix it?

MRR

Old 11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Default RE: Convertible top adjustment

You MIGHT be able to improve the situation with an adjustment of the cams on each side. Changing these can cause the top to get slightly "longer" toward the front of the car. You need a torx screwdriver to remove the set screws and turn the cams. There's a little "dart" on the cam. Pointing the dart more toward the front pulls the top header back, and vice versa.
The problem is that fooling around with this has other effects, and the whole thing is inter-related. You might help the problem up front but screw up the sealingat the quarter windows, because you will be changing the angle there.
Personally, I'd contact a shop that specializes in convertible tops. They are likely to do a much better job than a dealer, as the dealer's mechanics rarely, if ever deal with convertible tops.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:44 PM

One thing to keep in mind with an older car, the seals can and will shrink over time. One solution to your whistle problem is to put some butyl rope caulking under the windshield header seal to "beef" it up and get it to touch the top header more securely.

As far as the window seal? If the mechanic screwed it up and didn't leave it in like new, then you're a dissatisfied customer and have every right to make it known that the only way you'll accept a repair is that it is done correctly.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bandaide

As far as the window seal? If the mechanic screwed it up and didn't leave it in like new, then you're a dissatisfied customer and have every right to make it known that the only way you'll accept a repair is that it is done correctly.
I did that three times with my horribly misaligned driver's quarter window. This was about the time (coincidentally) my oil pan plug-hole got completely stripped. It forced me to learn how to adjust the window myself. I'm much happier wiping my hands of my dealer and finding another mechanic.

MRR