Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Dash warning lights and radio click on and off

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Default Dash warning lights and radio click on and off

2006 Sebring. While driving, the ABS and traction control lights come on, the odometer goes blank, and the radio cycles or clicks. It's kinda like when you first turn the key on and everything cycles on then off when starting. Seems to happen when hitting a bump in the road. I suspect a loose connection. Any suggestions as to what may cause this or where this connection might be located? Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 PM

It does sound like a loose connection, I would guess a ground. You didn't say whether it's a coupe or sedan (they are very different) but I would start with the battery and check every ground strap I can find.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
It does sound like a loose connection, I would guess a ground. You didn't say whether it's a coupe or sedan (they are very different) but I would start with the battery and check every ground strap I can find.
Sorry, it's a sedan. I will start with the grounds, but is there a particular connector that commonly causes problems like this?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Apparently a chime (bell) sounds every time this happens. Is there something common with the chime and the lights that I can look at? This is my daughter's car so sorry about the haphazard info. She's bringing it by tomorrow so I would like to have ducks in a row when I start checking it out.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:06 AM

I would guess a ground. You didn't say whether it's a coupe or sedan (they are very different) but I would start with the battery and check every ground strap I can find.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM

Well I got the car and started checking things out. When the problem occurs you hear a chime and the Brake and Traction Control lights come on. I checked the brake fluid level and it was really low. I topped off the reservoir and the lights/chime thing stopped and no matter what I do I can't get the problem to repeat. I'm tempted to syphon off some of the brake fluid to see if I can get it to repeat. Could the low level be the cause of the problem?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Rather than wonder why the problem is fixed, it might be better to explore why the level is so low. Is there a leak? Are the pads worn so much that they need replacement? Might be time to replace the fluid as well.

The brake fluid level switch operates through a microprocessor in the instrument cluster, and the low fluid may explain the symptoms you saw.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Rather than wonder why the problem is fixed, it might be better to explore why the level is so low. Is there a leak? Are the pads worn so much that they need replacement? Might be time to replace the fluid as well.

The brake fluid level switch operates through a microprocessor in the instrument cluster, and the low fluid may explain the symptoms you saw.
That's what I did. When topping off the fluid cleared the alarms, I pulled the wheels off and found the brake pads were worn out. There was no evidence of leakage. I then lowered the level to where it was and after the new pads were installed the level wound up just slightly below the full mark. Will consider fluid changeout when I get more time. Thanks to all for their input.