Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Found destroyed wire from alternator... where does other end go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Default Found destroyed wire from alternator... where does other end go?

2001 Sebring 2.7L LXi

So the battery light on my Sebring came on. Brand new battery, alternator bench test checked out fine. I just replaced the lead from the battery to the starter, which was rotted through. I replaced the acc belt to no avail. So I'm feeling around the main wire harness that wraps around the front of the engine and find a lead completely burned out and rotted through and no longer connected to anything. I traced it to find that it was the main lead that connects to the front of the alternator. I'm confident I can replace the lead myself, but where does the other end go? I can't find any schematics for the charging system nor have I found any other burnt off wires. I personally think that it connects to the starter and I just didn't see it when I was replacing that starter lead, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

wire color and size?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:59 AM

It looks like a battery lead... Red and prolly 3/8" thick.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by slyugo
2001 Sebring 2.7L LXi

So the battery light on my Sebring came on. Brand new battery, alternator bench test checked out fine. I just replaced the lead from the battery to the starter, which was rotted through. I replaced the acc belt to no avail. So I'm feeling around the main wire harness that wraps around the front of the engine and find a lead completely burned out and rotted through and no longer connected to anything. I traced it to find that it was the main lead that connects to the front of the alternator. I'm confident I can replace the lead myself, but where does the other end go? I can't find any schematics for the charging system nor have I found any other burnt off wires. I personally think that it connects to the starter and I just didn't see it when I was replacing that starter lead, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
More than likely it is a fuse link. check to see if the wire you have is hot battery voltage in it. you will have to keep looking in the harness for the other end. just don't put a piece of wire in there get a fuse link match the color of wire to get the right one. you can't solder them you must use a butt end wire connector and a crimping tool.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your help! It was the lead from the starter connector to the alternator.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by slyugo
Thanks for your help! It was the lead from the starter connector to the alternator.
if this wire burns you may have a shorted alternator. this wire goes to the starter but so does one from the battery, this how the battery is charged. it is fused just for this reason so it won't burn your ride to the ground.

Good luck.

Let us know how you made out.