Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

'98 Sebring JXI convertible no crank/no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Default '98 Sebring JXI convertible no crank/no start

My mother borrowed my car when I was out of town so the details are a little hazy but apparently she had some trouble with the security system. She says she didn't arm or even lock it but when she left to drive home from work the alarm went off. Couldn't get it to stop but drove it home anyway (horn and lights blazing!) Same thing the next morning. That afternoon the car just wouldn't start at all. Some one tried to jump it off, to disconnect the battery as well as tried to unlock it manually by putting the key in all of the doors/trunk. When we got back home (and before we got the whole story on the alarm thing) we tried changing the auto shut off relay (a problem we've had in the past), the crankshaft position sensor, and checked several other things. Basically all parts are good so it seems to be a security system issue. When you put the key in the ignition, all power is on inside (radio, lights, windows etc) it just won't even try to think about turning over. Just nothing. I have to get this car back on the road. It's been dead for 3 months now and I need it for work but I absolutely do not have the money to take this to the dealer so any advice on what else we could try would be appreciated.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Try putting the gear selector in neutral instead of park. I know this sounds simple, but try it. Many $$$$$ have been spent on everything BUT the neutral safety switch. You might also remove the fuse for the security system (is this factory or aftermarket?) I hope this helps you out.