Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Horn randomly blows stays on goes off

Old 06-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Default Horn randomly blows stays on goes off

I have a 2005 Sebring touring convertible with steering radio controls. When I bought the car the woman told me the horn was disconnected because it was stuck on. The steering radio controls also did not work. I installed a new Chrysler OEM clock spring and relay. I have the same issue after the new clock spring. But I can offer new information. The horn will go off if you hit the steering wheel in the horn button location, but will come back on randomly, the horn will go off by itself but it will come back on again when it wants. Also the steering radio controls now work occasionally but they do not work at all when the horn is on. Today I am going to remove the air bag {again} and disconnect the horn button to eliminate that. The cruise control has always worked even with the old clock spring. Has anyone had something similar and does anyone have a solution? Thanks John

Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM

The horn buttons work by providing a ground path for the horn relay. If the problem is a stray ground path, taking the horn buttons out of the circuit may not solve the problem. Look for a pinched wire in there while you've got it apart.

For some unknown reason the horn circuit is routed through the body control module, so it's at least conceivable that some internal malfunction there is causing your problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Ok so I took the air bag out and disconnected the horn wires.... everything works properly, even the steering wheel radio controls. I pulled the horn wires out the top of the steering wheel and hooked a horn button to it and the horn works perfectly. The horn even works on panic and with the remote lock. So I am going to assume that my horn buttons inside my air bag are randomly connecting {or shorting} and causing my issue. I have had the horn button on it for 4 hours now and no random out bursts from the horn! Now I need to decide if I want to chance a used or buy new.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM

This is a common problem on the sebrings. I don't think Chrysler issued a TSB for it but I could be wrong. I took the step of removing the horn relay from the fuse box. It means I no longer have a working horn but I don't use the stupid thing anyway. And the horn can't go off by itself without the relay. Problem solved.

I believe that you can resolve the problem for a short time by replacing the horn relay with a new one. But it will also fail in time and you'll be right back where you started.

Good Luck

Old 06-20-2014, 02:53 PM

actually I mounted a horn button on top of the steering wheel and everything works perfectly. I couldn"t leave my relay out because when the horn buttons in the air bag where "shorted" my air bag light would come on and the steering wheel radio controls would not work. And although I don't use my horn either I do use my steering radio controls. I guess the permanent solution is to get a new air bag, one in which the horn buttons are not always touching............. I would suggest to you to go ahead and remove the air bag and remove the wires that go to horn buttons and put the horn relay back in, I would put money on the fact that your horn stays off with those wires disconnected. Unfortunately I spent $200 on a new clock spring before I figured it
out...lol John