Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

How Long Can 2.7L V6 Last?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 PM

So...How long does a 2.7 last..... Real simple....

Using the mathematical properties Of the Djinn himself.....

Take the money in your bank account and multiply by two, add that to the Square root of what you paid for the car plus 1000 dollars, then divide that by the amount of cash you are willing to spend to keep it running. Multiply the end result by 52 to calculate years, or by 7 to calculate weeks.

Now...the truth, ....Its all in the luck of the draw.....and a balance of wallet and Commitment.....

Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 PM

As fast as this car depreciated, I think I would have actually been $$ ahead had I leased it, rather than paying cash. Right now, an 04 Sebring Convertible with 65k miles is worth about $5,000.. The sticker on mine was $31,000, but we received several rebates and made a killer deal on the last day of the month, plus, it was purchased new in March 05.. With this in mind, I just saw a commercial for the Honda Accord LX 4 door. MFG price about $23k and its a no $ down, no dep, and no 1st payment. 35 months @ $250 and 12,000 miles a year. You can buy it at the end of the lease for $13k.. Seems like a no brainer.. If the car turns out to be a POS, I give it back in 3 years and will have paid less than the deprecation had I bought it.. Seriously considering this.. I've owned several Hondas in the past and never had an issue.. Just fill with gas and keep the oil changed..
Now, i just have to get my wife to agree.. She still loves her Sebring..

Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Bought 04 Sebring LXi convertible at auction on Saturday with 149,000 on the odometer. Not sure yet if the engine is good, see other post, but should last at least 149k....

Zoom

Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks for all the posts, folks.

I've read up on oil and fuel additives some... Since oil change is coming up on Wednesday, I'm planning on buying a bottle of Sea Foam Motor Treatment to add about 30 miles before actual oil change. The main reason is to not have this come up any more:
Oil pressure light 2.7 2001 sebring - Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums
OIL PRESSURE LIGHT - Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

I've seen the indicator light up in my Sebring several times over the last two years while fully warmed up. (So it was very rare and it never stayed on for long.) I get some vibration while idling in Drive too but not that bad. Maybe I should be worried but overall no loss in performance. Is this additive worth using before oil change on a 100K+ engine? Are Sea Foam and Lucas products comparable or are totally different in application?

Last edited by starzz; 04-30-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM

The wife has a 2002 Sebring 2.7 which we bought brand new in Feb 2003. She just passed the 205,000 mile mark on it. The engine itself has been rather good, the car on the other hand was great up to the 150,000 miles then the issues started. Since then we have replaced struts, water pump, rebuilt the tranny, engine/tranny mounts, repaired engine harness, o2 sensor, map sensor.

Just recently the airbag indicator came on and we lost the car horn and cruise control, (I believe all these are tied into a common piece of equipment, module perhaps). The instrument cluster lighting/radio lighting also recently began to flicker on and off and eventually we lost the lighting on the instrument cluster only, the radio still flickers at times.

I use to think when you bought a car nothing should go out, it should last the life of the vehicle but I now believe that it is what cars do, if that wasn't the case there wouldn't be service centers at dealerships nor auto part stores throughout the nation. Just like timing chain/belt, spark plugs, and other items which the manufacturer's specify when to replace, there are all the other components which the manufacturer doesn't know when they'll fail so they don't tell you when to replace them.
Just like in a earlier post the vehicle will last as long as you decide to keep putting money into it.

The issue with the engine harness is that part of it melted, I assume it was touching another piece of equipment which normally gets hot while in operation.
We went about 150,000 miles with the original spark plugs and only changed them out because we had a tune up done not because they failed, same thing with the timing chain. The tranny didn't go out until 195,000 miles.
Oh by the way we are still using the original battery...

Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by bdevil
The wife has a 2002 Sebring 2.7 which we bought brand new in Feb 2003. She just passed the 205,000 mile mark on it. The engine itself has been rather good, the car on the other hand was great up to the 150,000 miles then the issues started. Since then we have replaced struts, water pump, rebuilt the tranny, engine/tranny mounts, repaired engine harness, o2 sensor, map sensor.

Just recently the airbag indicator came on and we lost the car horn and cruise control, (I believe all these are tied into a common piece of equipment, module perhaps). The instrument cluster lighting/radio lighting also recently began to flicker on and off and eventually we lost the lighting on the instrument cluster only, the radio still flickers at times.

I use to think when you bought a car nothing should go out, it should last the life of the vehicle but I now believe that it is what cars do, if that wasn't the case there wouldn't be service centers at dealerships nor auto part stores throughout the nation. Just like timing chain/belt, spark plugs, and other items which the manufacturer's specify when to replace, there are all the other components which the manufacturer doesn't know when they'll fail so they don't tell you when to replace them.
Just like in a earlier post the vehicle will last as long as you decide to keep putting money into it.

The issue with the engine harness is that part of it melted, I assume it was touching another piece of equipment which normally gets hot while in operation.
We went about 150,000 miles with the original spark plugs and only changed them out because we had a tune up done not because they failed, same thing with the timing chain. The tranny didn't go out until 195,000 miles.
Oh by the way we are still using the original battery...

Thanks for the post and sharing your experiences. 200K miles is a lot. I only have 100K on my '01. Have been averaging 10K/year since I got it.

Regarding the issue with the horn and cruise... I had that same thing happen to me a few months ago. It's a failure of a part called clockspring. Wires to air bags, cruise, etc are passed through it in the steering wheel column. I had it replaced at a shop. The part itself costs about $130. Add an hour of labor for an experienced mechanic or nothing if doing yourself. (Came out $260 total for me.) As far as I know as clockspring cracks, air bag becomes disabled which is a safety issue. I found helpful posts online -- there are probably some on this forum that are more helpful than mine.

Regarding the timing chain and water pump... were those suggested by a shop or did they actually malfunction? I figure the first since if chain goes, you're usually in bigger trouble...

And, yes, spark plugs that I changed a few months back were still in good condition and were probably original. Quality platinum Champs they are. Same with battery... still running on original I believe. (Knock on wood.)

Last edited by starzz; 05-07-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 PM

Starzz,
Thanks for the enlighting me on the issues with the clock spring.

Also the water pump developed a leak and since that was getting replaced I took advantage of the opportunity to replace the timing chain at that time.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Red face Best laugh

This is the best laugh I have had for a long time.....That was sweet!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by starzz
Thanks for the post and sharing your experiences. 200K miles is a lot. I only have 100K on my '01. Have been averaging 10K/year since I got it.

Regarding the issue with the horn and cruise... I had that same thing happen to me a few months ago. It's a failure of a part called clockspring. Wires to air bags, cruise, etc are passed through it in the steering wheel column. I had it replaced at a shop. The part itself costs about $130. Add an hour of labor for an experienced mechanic or nothing if doing yourself. (Came out $260 total for me.) As far as I know as clockspring cracks, air bag becomes disabled which is a safety issue. I found helpful posts online -- there are probably some on this forum that are more helpful than mine.

Regarding the timing chain and water pump... were those suggested by a shop or did they actually malfunction? I figure the first since if chain goes, you're usually in bigger trouble...

And, yes, spark plugs that I changed a few months back were still in good condition and were probably original. Quality platinum Champs they are. Same with battery... still running on original I believe. (Knock on wood.)
The broken clock spring caused the horn to go off on its own whenever it wanted and would not stop. I had to call Chrysler Canada and they refused to fix it undew warrenty, so I called Chrysler USA, they said OK we will fix it under warrenty. I think I has under 60,000KM at the time.
They replaced the entire air bag assembly in the steering wheel and not just the clock spring, as it was Chrysler going to pay for it. No wonder these car companies are going broke. If out of warrenty, so it your self. Wiring/fixing diagrams get from dealer spare parts dept, get print out and do it your self.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 AM

My Sebring 2.7 (2001,sedan) has 267000km or recalculated 165000miles and enginne is working perfectly. I had few problems with electrical parts but never with engine (regular maintainance every 12000km or 7500miles).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Long Can 2.7L V6 Last?