Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

How Long Can 2.7L V6 Last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM

The basic rule of thumb for any engine, whether it be in a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, or Yugo is this:

Keep the oil changed regularly, and for the love of God, don't overheat it. That's how engines are kept happy and healthy.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by helo735
The basic rule of thumb for any engine, whether it be in a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, or Yugo is this:

Keep the oil changed regularly, and for the love of God, don't overheat it. That's how engines are kept happy and healthy.
Yugo rules

Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM

I think they are very poor built cars with a cheap parts on it too. I do now own a chrysler myself but my mom has a 01 sebring sedan with 85K on it. struts on a front and rear was bad, tensioner, ball jonts, interior plastics are falling apart, handling sucks ***,new ECU, and these 2.7L motors are notorious for major failures out of blue. i own a BMW and 2 VW`s and a 97 jeep GC. I am very dissapointed at Chrysler and a way they built these models. I would not recommend sebring to anyone but we all have our opinions when it comes to cars.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by eric30
I think they are very poor built cars with a cheap parts on it too. I do now own a chrysler myself but my mom has a 01 sebring sedan with 85K on it. struts on a front and rear was bad, tensioner, ball jonts, interior plastics are falling apart, handling sucks ***,new ECU, and these 2.7L motors are notorious for major failures out of blue. i own a BMW and 2 VW`s and a 97 jeep GC. I am very dissapointed at Chrysler and a way they built these models. I would not recommend sebring to anyone but we all have our opinions when it comes to cars.
Maintenance. That's what keeps cars on the road. It just sounds to me like this car has the **** beat out of it, and you're expecting it to take the abuse with a smile.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by helo735
Maintenance. That's what keeps cars on the road. It just sounds to me like this car has the **** beat out of it, and you're expecting it to take the abuse with a smile.

Oh no not at all. This car was never abused at all and was maintained always. Sir i work on a cars and know a proper way to maintain em. Her sebring as of today has 81xxxx K on it and you tell me if a struts should go bad on it? Wheel bearings? that little coolant housing next to intake manifold bursted during a drive. I really maintained it with a tune up, transmision fluids and everything proper way but all i am saying for a car with these low miles i was very suprised. and she lives in florida so there is no salt, snow or other things that kill a car faster. My jeep has 234xxx miles on it and is so much better built than this piece of crap.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Thumbs up Sebring2006 2.7,6cyl,4door,Touring-How long canitlast?

I have just put on 100,000Km (not miles) and running smoothly.
I have replaced the fuel pump at 50,000KM and Airbag module because clock spring probably broke - horn kept going off on its own.
Just replaced the black plastic water jacket(radiator hoses on it & bleeder valve) because it leak anti freeze.
Still original car battery - 5 years old, will change next summer.

I am also worried about timing chain and waterpump becuase they say it cost about $1000 for water pump replacement. is that TRUE?

Best way to avoid sludge is to use Synthetic oil. It really runs clean. The regular oil dealer used looked as if it was sluding, so changed over, now engine is clean.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by gpatel
I have just put on 100,000Km (not miles) and running smoothly.
I have replaced the fuel pump at 50,000KM and Airbag module because clock spring probably broke - horn kept going off on its own.
Just replaced the black plastic water jacket(radiator hoses on it & bleeder valve) because it leak anti freeze.
Still original car battery - 5 years old, will change next summer.

I am also worried about timing chain and waterpump becuase they say it cost about $1000 for water pump replacement. is that TRUE?

Best way to avoid sludge is to use Synthetic oil. It really runs clean. The regular oil dealer used looked as if it was sluding, so changed over, now engine is clean.
as for a water pump replacement it does run off a timing chain and its pretty expensive to replace yes. It all depends where u can find a better deal and someone that knows what is doing. But with a KM u have on your car you should be ok but u never know with that kind of stuff. If u ever have to replace it best thing to do is replace timing chain and tensioner with a water pump and just be done with it. I hate a design and a fact that its so hard to do it. I have replaced water pump on a 2.7 and its a pain in a a$$. good luck

Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM

We have an '01 Sebring Convertible with 187,000 mi on it. Engine makes some blue smoke at cold start-up and the thing has a loud pulley rattle when first started up, but quiets down in a few minutes when things warm up - not sure what that is. And the power rack is squeeling when it's cold - ok when warm though. It also has all the familiar squeeks and rattles in the front end. Had to have the front ball joints replaced with lower control arms (sold only as a unit) and the front wheel bearings replaced 2x under warranty. The thermostaat housing (plastic fabrication) had blown apart after leaking coolant out and the system blew its cork! Dented the hood!! Just replaced the spark plugs after 187,000 m iles - originals were worn to around 0.077" gap but were still sparking. R&I Water Pump and belts at 150,000 miles - no biggie. Engine now has a vacuum leak - suspect it is in the intake manifold someplace. The thing miss-fires until you jump on the throttle so it tells me the misfire is due to too much air (leaks) in the intake. I can hear a "hiss" from the thing at idle but that quickly goes away when you burp the throttle - lowers the vacuum and hisswing stops. Hoping to get some direction from the forum on this one!
Stikll fun to drop the top and enjoy spring days!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 AM

You have to visit some one expert about this field so he can help you in better way .

Windshield Replacement Poway

Old 12-18-2011, 04:47 PM

yep, nothing last forever, bought a 1998 lx 2.4 convert last april from the little old lady one owner, had a 101k on her, but its had it issue since then, replaced radiator for over heating, new thermostat, new rad cap, new plugs, wires, map sensor, new intake gasket(leaking air, had rought idle issue), new egr, gettign ready to replace valve cover gasket small leak, put in new tps and idle air control, and maybe a new air intake sensor, still has slight rough idle at stop but just this weeknd found missing bolts out of motor mounts(front) could be possible casue, but runs great out on highway, car being an arizona car and paint like new, had leather interior, no tears, rip etc etc, going to replace all the brakes in march,( mechanical i'm establishing a new baseline, not havign any previous repair receit) and will put a new top on it...edges all worn down and back glass sailcoth had come loose too, paid 1600 for it, but i love the car, im 63, hell i'll have more money in it, than whats itss worth lolololol, but hell at 63 and no car payment, could last me the rest of my life lololo
OOOOO and to add i have a 1995 jaguar xj6 that has 190k on it still going,,bought it in 1996, it now has a few thing that need replace, but hell the doors still close like new 4.0 eng will run for almost 400k,, I'm very **** about changing fuilds and parts when your suppose too....so what does all this mean, it mean have patients and work thru the problems, and think it out.

Genoaz
1998 sebring lx and 1995 jag

Last edited by genoaz; 12-18-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: How Long Can 2.7L V6 Last?