Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

HVAC Temp Changes With Engine RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Default HVAC Temp Changes With Engine RPM

I'm having an odd problem with my car. When I'm parked, idling, sitting at a stop light, etc. the temperature coming from my air vents is different from the temperature when moving/revving the engine

I first noticed this in the summer sitting at a drive-thru. I had my A/C on and as I drove around the air was quite cold. The A/C seemed to work as well as could be expected. While stopped waiting for food the air turned warm (it seemed to match the outside ambient air temp). I took my car in to be checked out and was told I was low on refrigerant. I went with this explanation since it mirrored some articles I had read online for the same symptom. Once topped off with refrigerant the problem was less severe (smaller change in temp) but still present.

Fast forward to winter and the problem is still happening but in reverse. When I drive, my car interior gets nice and toasty. When I stop/idle, the air turns cold.

As a test, I put my car in neutral then revved the engine to about 2,000RPM and as a result I was once again greeted by hot air.

I have the remote start feature and the engine will come fully up to temp but the car interior does not until I start reversing out of my driveway.

My car is a 2008 Chrysler Sebring Touring with the 6cyl 2.7L Flex Fuel engine.
My coolant level is good.
No recent changes to the car.
The radiator fans function on high and low.
I never noticed this happening until recently.
I don't hear any changes to the mode door or other HVAC components when the temperature changes.
For heat I put the fan on medium-high, temp **** to full heat, face and feet mixed, recirculate off, and A/C off.
For cold I put the fan on medium-high, temp **** to full cold, face, recirculate off, and A/C on.

I've tried various combinations of blower speed, recirculate on or off, where the air is directed, temp mixing, and so on -- all with no impact.

Can anyone shed some light on what the issue may be? Thank you for any help.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

thats typically low coolant