Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Irregular rubbing/vibration noise while accelerating/driving

Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Default Irregular rubbing/vibration noise while accelerating/driving

Hello all!

I have a 2001 Sebring 4-door sedan LXi with a 2.7L engine and automatic transaxle. I have done a lot of work to it in the last six months in an effort to keep it in good running order including replacing upper and lower control arms, front struts/bushings, both axles, all the lifters (thinking that was the source of the ticking in the engine), then the timing chain/water pump/oil pump (which was the source of the ticking) and most recently I replaced my tires and had it aligned about a month ago. Everything was going fine until about three days ago when I started to notice a slight "rubbing/vibration" sound when I accelerated.

At first it only happened when I accelerated slowly and it seemed to not occur when I accelerated fast. Then it didn't happen on day two but today (day 3) it's doing it like crazy. The noise only lasts for about a second when it happens and it happens whether I accelerate slow or fast, it also happens when I'm at cruising speeds now but doesn't happen when I turn or slow down. I'm not sure if I'm paranoid and a victim of the placebo effect but it feels like the car "drags" for the brief second it's happening. I thought it was a moving part issue (wheel bearing or brake dragging) but it happened when I was at a stop light today. The RPM's dropped and the rubbing noise/vibration happened three times at the light. As an extra note, the transmission has been slightly slipping lately too.

I've searched the internet and can't come up with anything and all the Chrysler dealers want me to take it in. I prefer to do the work myself if I can.

Thank you in advance to anyone that chimes in!

Dave

Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 PM

It's almost impossible to diagnose strange noises and feelings of the car over the internet. If the transmission is slipping I'd be worried about that. How old is the trans fluid in the car? If the answer is "I don't know", then it's time for a change. Search the forum here for a discussion on how to change it completely. You can get about 4-5 quarts out by dropping the trans pan and changing the filter; getting the rest out requires some work. Be sure to use only the fluid that the manufacturer recommends. Transmissions are designed around the fluid, so if it's gotten old or it's the wrong stuff, problems can and do arise.
Visually inspect under the car for any possible rubbing. The battery splash shield is situated very close to the left front tire, and if it's not installed correctly, could be rubbing.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 PM

Thanks for your reply dcotter, you helped me before when I was trying to figure out my timing chain replacement. I understand what you mean about noises being nearly impossible to diagnose by text description. I was just hoping that I may have been descriptive enough that it may have sounded familiar to someone.

As for your question about my transmission fluid age, it is less than 6 months old. I did a fluid and filter change (only dropped the pan) and after that I continued to have a transmission leak. I thought the pan gasket didn't seal so I did it again with a new filter, gasket and fluid... and it leaked again so I dropped the pan one more time, changing the fluid again (I figured after three fluid changes using new fluid each time I had basically flushed the transmission by now). After the third attempt I still had a leak and was about to drive it into a canal and file an insurance claim! lol I went to my local Chrysler parts counter and the guy was actually helpful, he told me that the solenoid pack is a common source of leak but that usually it's not the gasket, rather it's the joint between the plastic half and the aluminum half. I figured that since it was leaking I'd go for broke and try to stop the leak before I replaced it. I screwed it to a board so that the open part was flat against the wood then I degreased the outside and pressure washed the heck out of it. After that I blew it dry with compressed air and then cleaned the seam with a rag and brake cleaner. Once it was clean I liberally applied black gasket rtv around the seam and let it dry. I installed it and no more leak!

Now back to my current issue, I don't think it would be the battery cover since it happened when I was at a dead stop too. It has to be an engine or transaxle component sadly enough. If anything jogs your memory I all ears!

Dave

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM

You might be able to localize the problem with a mechanic's stethoscope if it exists while the car is not moving. A stethoscope is an inexpensive investment. Can't hurt, might help.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Ok this is weird, I drive it on a 40 mile round trip this morning and the noise wasn't present on the trip out but in the way back towards the end of trip it started up but just slightly, nothing like it was yesterday. I put some high mileage transmission anti-slip in yesterday and didn't notice it slipping. I'm completely baffled!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Ok here's an update on the noise:

I don't think the noise is coming from the transmission or engine. I think it's tied into my A/C system, more specifically my A/C compressor. The mornings are still cool here so I drive with the windows down and I noticed that when the A/C isn't on the noise and surging doesn't happen. In the afternoons when it's hot and I'm running the A/C it does, and I've also noticed that the force of the air coming out of the vents is varying too. I think I'll take it to my A/C guy and see what he can find!

I'll keep you posted

Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 AM

On my 03 town and country i had a similar sound. i thought it was the compressor clutch because it only did this with the ac on. turns out the alternator pulley ( it is one of those disengaging types ) was bad. i don't know if you have the same thing but you can check it just look for a big nut on the pulley. if you have this you do not have that kind of pulley. i changed mine and now it is quiet.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the tip on the alternator pulley, I checked and mine isn't the clutch style. I'll do some more poking around. I think I'm still going to take it to my A/C guy since the fan motor is varying in speed when the noise happens. This is just weird!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM

The only reason for the fan motor to have varying speeds is varying voltage. That's an electrical supply problem, not an A/C problem.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Would a varying voltage problem cause the engine to drag (maybe if the alt bearings are getting ready to swize). The perplexing issue is why does it only happen when the A/C is on? Could it be caused by the additional load? The problem only happens when I'm driving too. I can idle with the A/C on all day and not have any problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Irregular rubbing/vibration noise while accelerating/driving